Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Merry, Pics of my embellished applique >

Merry, Pics of my embellished applique

Merry, Pics of my embellished applique

Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
KastleKitty, thanks for the links, and insect outlines, but especially, thanks for the words of encouragement. It's nice to hear that it is possible to make something so beautiful without years of practice. Once I learned to do a French Knot I also fell in love with it. Will have to check out candlewicking (or add it to my endless list of things I want to learn).
Many years back I was asked to contribute to a going away gift in the form of one quilt block. At the time I was not a quilter. I was intimidated by the whole thing! At a loss to know what to do or even how to start, I came across a candlewicking pattern. I had done slightly more embroidery than quilting, (what is slightly more than zero? LOL) but still had no confidence. All of my sewing background was in clothing construction! But because candlewicking is mostly knots, I thought I would give it a try. I absolutely loved it. Now, years later I read that most people avoid the French knot in embroidery because it is so hard! I see this written over and over again, and it makes me laugh because out of ignorance I picked it thinking it would be easy. And it really is, as you say yourself. And I love it too!

This board is great! It has helped to increase my productivity a lot because I get to interact with people who share my passion. I have new incentive to finish UFO's. Grambi, here is another UFO that probably dates back 25 years or more! I think I have to put it on my current to-do list! It is a piece of candlewicking.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272103.jpe  
Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 AM

well, thank you Mary's server, for rejecting these. We all got to see them instead! These are EXQUISITE!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 AM

What an inspiration!!!!!! I can see applique like this being added to wearables such as several plain dress jackets that have been in my closet for years. Would update them to fit in with today's "bling" in wearables. Just this week-end on our PBS station "Sewing with Nancy" featured a guest (can't remember her name) who creates leaves that are evidently meant to be used for decorative items because they were "free standing" (for lack of a better word). They were three dimentional and to achieve the "curles" and "waves" she had used that fabric stiffner stuff. You have done a wonderful, creative job taking "quilting" to "infinity and beyond". Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by nana2
What an inspiration!!!!!! I can see applique like this being added to wearables such as several plain dress jackets that have been in my closet for years. Would update them to fit in with today's "bling" in wearables. Just this week-end on our PBS station "Sewing with Nancy" featured a guest (can't remember her name) who creates leaves that are evidently meant to be used for decorative items because they were "free standing" (for lack of a better word). They were three dimentional and to achieve the "curles" and "waves" she had used that fabric stiffner stuff. You have done a wonderful, creative job taking "quilting" to "infinity and beyond". Thanks for sharing.
Nana, I am a leaf nut! I collect all things leaf related I can find! I wish I would have been able to watch this particular segment, because I watch "Sewing with Nancy" when I can! I will have to see if it is replayed. Thanks for telling me. (....And I've got some of that stiffener on my shelf! :D :D )
Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Here is the link to the Pincushion Sewing Kit:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-159705-8.htm
Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Kitty,
These are all museum quality, IMHO! Your work transcends needlework to art and your color choices and placement produce a beautiful overall effect! Stunning!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel
Kitty,
These are all museum quality, IMHO! Your work transcends needlework to art and your color choices and placement produce a beautiful overall effect! Stunning!
Thank you! Glad you liked them. I read your info. It says you live in a swamp area! Got any good swamp stories? I am fascinated by different locales. KastleKitty :D :D
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

They are so wonderful as not to be believed. What fun you have had and what fun it was to see them
Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan
They are so wonderful as not to be believed. What fun you have had and what fun it was to see them
They are a lot of fun. I was wondering if your avatar was a quilt you made? It looks like stained glass. I want to try one of them.

(If you made it can you post a larger picture? Or maybe you have one posted already and can send the link?) Kitty
Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ditto-stunning work