A mini hint when we do Rhonda's bookmark's

A mini hint when we do Rhonda's bookmark's

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Pizza boxes! wow and to think I have been throwing them away lol
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by imjustme
Pizza boxes! wow and to think I have been throwing them away lol
Pizza boxes are great for storing and traveling with quilt stuff. I usually lay a piece of batting on top of fabric pieces. Keeps them from getting mixed up.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
That's a great tip, G! I'm like everyone else here -- never thought of cutting it into usable sizes. I covered pizza boxes with flannel and use them as a portable easel as a mini design board that I put a pillow behind to prop up, use pizza boxes (with no flannel) to transport cut pieces to the machine. One box stays loaded with stashes of fabrics I've pulled for a project and I carry that back and forth. Pizza boxes are great for the sewing room! :-D :-D
For scrap 9 patches or double 4's I have placed the squares on the vinyl flannel squares and then stacked a whole quilt of blocks one atop the other. Putting them in the pizza box would be a great addition to that.
It sure would! I know some who even do that with their projects. One girl went to a pizza shop and asked for a pizza box and they gave her one! We order alot through carry-out so I saved all sizes of pizza boxes and they're just deep enough to stack all your projects in them one-on-top-of-another!

:-D :-D
Great Idea, my son works in a pizza place- never thought to have him bring be unused boxes.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Great Idea, my son works in a pizza place- never thought to have him bring be unused boxes.
You'll love the 16" size to lay out all your cut pieces on to carry to the machine. I love using the boxes as a tray to transport the selected fabrics; it holds more than my arms can carry! lol. I also love the way the flaps are inside (and not outside) so they become more neatly stacked and no lost pieces. :D
Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 PM

I always use left over batting pieces, to layout blocks.
thanks for the tip
Old 01-22-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I do lots of mini's and those little pieces can easily get lost :roll: So if you have an old flannel backed vinyl tablecloth, cut it up into large squares. 14 1/2" ones hold a 12 inch block pieces. These squares are about 8"--perfect for the mini's. The small pieces stick to the flannel, you can stack multiple squares as the vinyl side of the top square doesn't stick to the flannel side of the bottom.

These are 1" HST sewn into Broken Dishes block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21154[/ATTACH]
Is your seam allowance still a 1/4 inch. Or do you do an 1/8 inch. Do you trim the seams if you use a 1/4 inch seam. I'm just asking because I've never sewed anything that small. And, I need a couple of tiny dollhouse size pieces. Thank you for any advice you can give. (I've been searching your threads. You seam to be the one to go to for "Tiny" advice.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Hi Judith...I'll try to give you what "little" I know....I have tried all sorts of ways to seam these...

1/8" seams, one little misstep and you are off the seam allowance and in the deep dark realm of knotted fabric in the bobbin area...maybe others sew better than I...so all my seams are 1/4".

Most of my quilts are made from someone else's scraps, i.e., waste triangle corners so when I sew them they are a little oversized; I cut them to the largest size I can make them to the nearest quarter inch. Because I recut them, accuracy in the HST stage is not imperative. I got so tired of making HST's, I paper pieced flying geese strips (there are 2 FG quilts on the tree)....sometimes I press seams open, sometimes to the side..I've trimmed seams, but usually don't. After ever step, I square the blocks up...like in a lot cabin...every log gets squared after sewing......oh and starch is your friend...good luck..
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 AM

flannel backed table cloths are great! i have several friends that use them as design walls. i use mine as table cloths for when the coffee spillers gather ..i too, do minis & several years ago i created a "book" of felt pages seperated by clear vinyl. it's 12" square, each page holds several mini blocks or one or two blocks for larger quilts. i can roll it up, hold together w those pony tail bands and take with to sew groups. when not in use it hangs on wall via a hanging strap. i can even leave blocks in and they don't fall out while hanging.
...felt or flannel --quilters best friends
Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Oh rogue...this is a great idea..its would be easy to sew the table cloth squares into a book version and make a hybrid version of our ideas....

BTW, are your mom's friends still saving you scraps?.....
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the great tip