Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A mini hint when we do Rhonda's bookmark's >

A mini hint when we do Rhonda's bookmark's

A mini hint when we do Rhonda's bookmark's

Old 01-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Hi Judith...I'll try to give you what "little" I know....I have tried all sorts of ways to seam these...

1/8" seams, one little misstep and you are off the seam allowance and in the deep dark realm of knotted fabric in the bobbin area...maybe others sew better than I...so all my seams are 1/4".

Most of my quilts are made from someone else's scraps, i.e., waste triangle corners so when I sew them they are a little oversized; I cut them to the largest size I can make them to the nearest quarter inch. Because I recut them, accuracy in the HST stage is not imperative. I got so tired of making HST's, I paper pieced flying geese strips (there are 2 FG quilts on the tree)....sometimes I press seams open, sometimes to the side..I've trimmed seams, but usually don't. After ever step, I square the blocks up...like in a lot cabin...every log gets squared after sewing......oh and starch is your friend...good luck..

Thank you very much!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Oh rogue...this is a great idea..its would be easy to sew the table cloth squares into a book version and make a hybrid version of our ideas....

BTW, are your mom's friends still saving you scraps?.....
the book out of table cloth would work great! vinyl can be tedious to sew on, but i've made several block holders, little bags etc so i'm used to it. i liked the idea of seeing what my layout is when i turn page to start next block(s) and when i have the book hanging on the wall with a block in it, it's like an instant wall hanging.

....and

yes!! mil friends and churchfriends are still sending me scraps. last fall when i needed to be putting yard & water lines to bed for winter, she sent me three huge black garbage bags of fabric from a friend deceased sisters estate ...took me a long time to sort thru all the "yardage" ...no scraps! i don't do novelty prints but have a friend that does quilts for Caring Hands and i pass all of that to her. christmas before last one of the quilts i made for grand treasures was fill d with the flannel scraps fr mommyinlaw friends! littlest grand came running from vedroom later that evening grabved her new quilt, wrapped it around herself, turned to me and said "i need this to sleep! forever!" <3<3
Old 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

So precious....wait until they start going through the bags and start designing quilts from the bag...that's what happened to me last week...won't be long and she'll be sewing her own quilts...
Old 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM

they. both greeted me last spring with "gramma ham! we want to make quilt blocks!" oh really ...hmmmm ..i was there for the weekend for birthday parties and schools' grandparents day ..didn't take anything to sew with. but next time i did. the oldest dug thru scraps (i brought) snipped and stitiched a doll quilt that weekend. after i taught them both to sew on my fw & an older necchi i'd brought that my son asked me to leave there. oldest one sews all the time. just cuts & sews. i started her on 9-patches at christmas for something interesting to do. the youngest is a "designer". doesn't want to use the sewing machine, but by hand is making "purses" and we made a new outfit for their Elf on a Shelf. we all three wished we lived closer so we could "just sew sew sew alll the time gramma ham!" <3
Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

thanks for tip!!!