Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mosaic Heart Quilt

It's a beauty, looks terribly difficult though...good luck with yours!

It will definitely be a while until I attempt it. I'm working on gathering the material; I figure there are 20 different materials for each color heart

Just beautiful! would you also send me info on how you made it? I'm just finishing my first quilt and am quilt crazy!

I didn't make this quilt. I saw it and took pictures of it and found the maker of the quilt.

There was no pattern so I drafted it in full and then tried to figure out how the blocks were assembled.

Ah, okay...looks great! i did see the picture after i posted...first post too...lots to learn!

Blog Entries
    So it looks to me like 2 fairly easy blocks. I think it makes perfect sense. You did a great job figuring it out!!! I hope someone gets it on EQ.

Blog Entries
    beautiful!

Banned
    that is so pretty. i can't wait to see how yours turns out

Thank you so much for sharing.. that is breathtaking.. our municipal building has quilts displayed.. different ones every month.. lol.. I can't wait to pay utility bill and see what is up.

It's beautiful.

Wow! Gorgeous quilt! Great color study example. Good for you that you didn't give up seeking the initial info from the maker...better yet, you were determined to improve on the construction technique...best for all of us that you were not only willing, but also anxious to share your efforts, your enthusiasm, and your appreciation of a fellow quilter's fantastic work. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Gorgeous would love to make in all different reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaciris
    Does the construction seem logical to you? It was about the only way that I could figure it out. The lady that made the quilt made up the individual heart blocks, and then put them together with the setting triangles. That seemed like to much work for me.

Her name is Rosaline Lees.
    Thank you so much for sharing your drawing. Your blocks are easy, but the construction will be tricky. We quilters love a challenge though don't we.

Blog Entries
    How about it EQ6ers? Is Pittsburg Pam looking at this thread?

Another possibility is Lisa Maki's (Crooked Nickel) on-point fusible Pellon method. I'll have to think about it a while, but maybe I can come up with a design using her method.

Beautiful!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    How about it EQ6ers? Is Pittsburg Pam looking at this thread?

Another possibility is Lisa Maki's (Crooked Nickel) on-point fusible Pellon method. I'll have to think about it a while, but maybe I can come up with a design using her method.
    I have never heard of the on-point fusible Pellon method.

I am so glad that I posted this. I knew that I needed other eyes looking at it, to maybe see something that I didn't.

I have to be honest, at first I wasn't too keen on having anyone else make this quilt before me, but after hearing all the comments, I am honored to have been able to share this with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    Wow! Gorgeous quilt! Great color study example. Good for you that you didn't give up seeking the initial info from the maker...better yet, you were determined to improve on the construction technique...best for all of us that you were not only willing, but also anxious to share your efforts, your enthusiasm, and your appreciation of a fellow quilter's fantastic work. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Aw, that is so sweet of you!!!!

I love that I found this place, it has been so inspiring

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Wow, I totally bookmarked that, what a beauty!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I was looking at the quilt with DH before you posted your draft and we'd got to the point of 'seeing' the 9 patches and the 3 by 4 patches with the HSTs in them. So I'd say great minds think alike and would think this would be a much easier way of construction than the original maker describes - otherwise you'd be in scary Y seam territory!

The issues with layout are more to do with keeping the colours in the right places - I would make the blocks in sequence and use the design wall to keep them in order. I plan on trying to do the layout in EQ6 which will then help with the number of patches of each colour to be cut, fabric requirements, etc (although EQ always over estimates). I don't know when I'll get to it, but if I come up with anything useful, I'll post on here. :-D

This is absolutely stunning. It looks like a "standard" heart block but broken into square to creat gradations of color. And the triangles have color gradation from top to bottom. I wish I could make this. I love this. I need Directions! Some EQ person out there out to be able to graph it --PLEASE
    Rita

I had actually figured that if you put the main square together as one block and then one half of each heart in one color together as another block, they could then be put together as a set of 4 blocks.

If you can see the red dashed lines on the draft pictures, those are the sets. Then it's a matter of sewing the sets together. That is the tricky part; when you sew one set to another, there is a need to leave a portion of the seam unsewn at the end so that you can add the next set. The edges of the quilt don't quite follow that kind of assembly, but with the main portion of the quilt assembled, that should be slightly easier to handle.

Did you see the pics I took of the graph that I hand drew? They are farther down in the posting.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    This is a quilt that I saw hanging up in a local hospital. I fell in love with the pattern and spent 2 years trying to find the maker.

I finally did and it turns out that she just used a pattern that she had and added the setting triangles.
    Very awesome quilt!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I had actually figured that if you put the main square together as one block and then one half of each heart in one color together as another block, they could then be put together as a set of 4 blocks.

If you can see the red dashed lines on the draft pictures, those are the sets. Then it's a matter of sewing the sets together. That is the tricky part; when you sew one set to another, there is a need to leave a portion of the seam unsewn at the end so that you can add the next set. The edges of the quilt don't quite follow that kind of assembly, but with the main portion of the quilt assembled, that should be slightly easier to handle.

:oops: I hadn't realised that because the rectangle blocks go opposite ways in each row, the seams wouldn't be straight when joining but your 'sets of 4' approach deals with this so thank you for being smarter than me, AND for sharing your 'smarts'! :-D

I was looking at the draft the other day and realized that if it was started in one corner, you would still need to leave room for attaching additional blocks but it would be far less severe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast