Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: MTS! Looks like the starch trick worked!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    First--for those who don't know what I'm talking about... look here first:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110159-1.htm

    Now--here are pics of the piece pinned to the carpet in my quilting room. I drew a straight line on a piece of fabric, then pinned the uneven edges along it. I pinned all around, but extra in the spots that were off. I've sprayed and checked and sprayed some more. Since it's colder in there, I've hit it with a hair dryer. It's still not 100% dry, but I took the pins out. I'll iron it later tonight. BUT--looks like it worked great--yes?? Yes!!! :-D :-D I have just a wee trim to do.

    BORDERS:
    I still think I just want a green binding. But, if you're one who'd add two green borders with a skinny floral one between--please raise your hand. :-D

    one side--this one wasn't too bad
    Name:  Attachment-175976.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  112.3 KB

    This was the side that was more off. Look at her now! :-)
    Name:  Attachment-175981.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  123.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Super Member tutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,040
    It's such a beautiful quilt!! I'm happy for you that it worked!

  3. #3
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    State of Grace
    Posts
    1,873
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your quilt is stunning! I am not a fan of bargello, but this is a beauty.

  4. #4
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    So glad that worked--I'll have to remember that trick.

    Your quilt is beautiful. I like the idea of just a binding, I don't think borders add anything to bargelloes (just my VERY humble opinion). Yours is great just like it is.

  5. #5
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,142
    phew - saved by the starch trick. I've done this with individual blocks but never with anything bigger (& hope I never have too!)

    I'm sitting on my hand here so don't count me in for borders. Green binding sounds right on the mark.

  6. #6
    Super Member SaraSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    AZ/Utah border
    Posts
    3,192
    So glad to know this. I watched the videos too (both shrinking and stretching) for my own wonky bargello (which is now stored as a UFO) because I had the same problem. Glad your's is a success.

  7. #7
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,830
    Wow what a difference the blocking made! So when you trim are you just planning on squaring up the edge that appears just the teenyest, tinyest bit bowed?

  8. #8
    Super Member Crlyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,813
    That's great, can imagine how you must feel now!

  9. #9
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Yea!!! So glad that it worked. That sure is beautiful Karla!!!

  10. #10
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,400
    Blog Entries
    1
    spray starch is your friend!

  11. #11
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    It looks much more even now! I'm still a fan of 2 borders. I like the idea of the 2 greens with a floral between. Or even a floral or other color flange between the 2 would look nice.

    You have great taste in your fabric selections. I love looking at your quilts!

  12. #12
    Super Member Sandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    middle America
    Posts
    2,848
    Blog Entries
    71
    Looks good now!!

  13. #13
    Junior Member emsunfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    186
    That looks great! What a beautiful quilt!

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Wow what a difference the blocking made! So when you trim are you just planning on squaring up the edge that appears just the teenyest, tinyest bit bowed?
    Yup! I'm not worried about a little trim on both ends to even it up perfectly.

    A wise blocker PMd to let me know I should keep the pins in until it's totally dry--so I galloped in there to do that. :-D I gave the goofiest spot another spray for good measure--then dried it more. I'll leave it alone now and hopefully it'll be ready to lift before bed. :-D

    What else do you gals use starch for?

  15. #15
    Junior Member kolacequeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    254
    That is so beautiful. I love the soft flowing look.

  16. #16
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum

    What else do you gals use starch for?
    I starch my pre-cuts, triangles and binding strips. I only recently started using starch and am sorry I waited so long! My avatar quilt was done with Moda turnovers, and with the starch, I didn't have a single issue of stretch with the bias.

  17. #17
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    Oh Karla! I am so impressed with the fix! It looks great and I will use it when next I have that problem. Thanks for sharing your work. I like the idea of green for a border. I like borders, but I know your concern about size, so go with your feelings.

  18. #18
    Senior Member DoxieMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    546
    Looks much better! (And BTW I just figured out the "galloping horses"...very cute!)

    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    First--for those who don't know what I'm talking about... look here first:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110159-1.htm

    Now--here are pics of the piece pinned to the carpet in my quilting room. I drew a straight line on a piece of fabric, then pinned the uneven edges along it. I pinned all around, but extra in the spots that were off. I've sprayed and checked and sprayed some more. Since it's colder in there, I've hit it with a hair dryer. It's still not 100% dry, but I took the pins out. I'll iron it later tonight. BUT--looks like it worked great--yes?? Yes!!! :-D :-D I have just a wee trim to do.

    BORDERS:
    I still think I just want a green binding. But, if you're one who'd add two green borders with a skinny floral one between--please raise your hand. :-D

  19. #19
    Super Member hperttula123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,439
    So glad it worked. I seen it before and was hoping you could find some way to fix it. :)

  20. #20
    Super Member boxerlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, TN
    Posts
    1,012
    great, I'm so glad that "trick" worked, it's a beautiful quilt

  21. #21
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,830
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    A wise blocker PMd to let me know I should keep the pins in until it's totally dry--so I galloped in there to do that. :-D I gave the goofiest spot another spray for good measure--then dried it more. I'll leave it alone now and hopefully it'll be ready to lift before bed. :-D

    What else do you gals use starch for?
    I actually just use plain water when blocking but I have yet to block a whole top, just individual blocks.

    I use starch when prepping applique pieces. I don't know how to do needle turn so I turn under my edges prior to sewing them on. So when prepping those turned under edges I find heavily starched fabric is much more well behaved. I don't starch when doing piecing though others here swear by it.

  22. #22
    Super Member mcdaniel023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,585
    Blog Entries
    3
    Yeah! I will remember that trick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.