Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My 1st Quilt >

My 1st Quilt

My 1st Quilt

Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM

nice job
Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 PM

You did a fabulous job (can't believe it's your first!).
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Bev

Your teacher must have been one of the best! You did such great job! 8-)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Your first quilt is lovely. I love blues and yellows used together. There are many patterns to choose from, but I would advise you to not choose something that's a very challenging until you get confidence in doing it on your own. However, whatever you decide to do, you will have lots of help here. just ask.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
I learned how to make this Sample Quilt in an Adult Ed quilting class held at our local highschool. I'm very proud of how this turned out and now am very anxious to "go out on my own". How do you all decide what to work on next??? There are so many projects I want to try!
What a wonderful quilt! I started quilting with a sampler many years ago. It makes you try applique, piecing, curves, etc. Did you quilt it too - it looks like you fmq - nice job!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM

You did a super job. Doing a sampler exposes you to several different techniques and an excellent way to start. My second quilt was a sampler and I plan to do another sometime.
It's a mystery to me why I make one pattern over another. Most times I have someone in mind to give the quilt to so I gear the quilt in the direction of something I think they would like and the colors I know they would want or could use in their room. But the others are the mystery. I have a list a mile lone of things I want to try and this site exposes me to so many wonderful quilts and I want to make them all. I'll move from different color groups and styles and sometimes get stuck with a certain color for a while. I use to do one quilt at a time, and now I jump around working on three or four at a time and even shelving one for a while for one reason or another. It is a real challenge for me not to go out and buy fabric for quilts I want to make when I know I won't get to them for a while. And sometimes by the time I can start a new project I'm not interested in the one I bought the fabric for. I sound like a scatter brain don't I?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM

What a wonderful quilt! I started quilting with a sampler many years ago. It makes you try applique, piecing, curves, etc. Did you quilt it too - it looks like you fmq - nice job![/quote]

I was the only newbie in my class, everyone else was repeat students (and I will be too!) One of my classmates has a longarm quilter and offered to machine quilt it for me and I took her up on the offer. I think it's called a puzzle stitch. I'm currently finishing up a table runner for my Mom and I'm attempting hand quilting for the first time. I'm no where near 8 stiches per inch but I'm staying fairly even in my spacing.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by Lori L
I learned how to make this Sample Quilt in an Adult Ed quilting class held at our local highschool. I'm very proud of how this turned out and now am very anxious to "go out on my own". How do you all decide what to work on next??? There are so many projects I want to try!
WOW!! Great first quilt. Nice sampler.
Let's see how to decide what to do next?? I like to surf the web and look at different sites. Usually one pattern will speak to me.
Sometimes I will find a fabric line that I love then I have to find a pattern that I want to use.
Quite a few times I find my ideas on this board. We have a community of very talented quilters here with some outstanding ideas!! Why not look in the tutorial section you never know what a jewel you may find there. ;-)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Samplers are always a nice place to start
Happy quilting
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Congratulations on a beautiful quilt.