Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My daughter is piecing! >

My daughter is piecing!

My daughter is piecing!

Old 08-21-2023, 02:51 PM

Default My daughter is piecing!

My daughter (age 50) just completed her first quilt top! I suggested this pattern (Double Slice) for her to try because she would only have to match the block seams, when she started to sew the rows together. She put it together pretty quickly too. I quilted and sewed her binding on today. It finished at 55x72 after quilting. I’m so proud of her making her first quilt!
I’m helping someone else and I’ll show it at a later date. It may take her a while, but that’s okay.
Attached Thumbnails img_9030.jpeg   img_9031.jpeg  
Old 08-21-2023, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Proud mama! I wish one of my girls would start quilting. I would gladly part with almost all my stash and supplies. Heck I'd even go over to their homes and sew and sew. LOL
Old 08-21-2023, 04:40 PM

Looks like she has inherited your eye for color placement! Great job.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:02 PM

Great first quilt! Nice work!
Old 08-21-2023, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Toogie, that's awesome! And it turned out so nice!
Did I read somewhere on this board that you've only been quilting a few years? If so I'm astonished! You do great work
and a LOT of it!
Old 08-21-2023, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Toogie, that's awesome! And it turned out so nice!
Did I read somewhere on this board that you've only been quilting a few years? If so I'm astonished! You do great work
and a LOT of it!
Before 2019 I had made 2 or 3 baby quilts and only about that many larger ones. The baby quilts were years ago. The larger quilts were before 2019 a big pinwheel, a blue Jean and our 50th anniversary quilt. Our 55th is coming up in October so that would have been 2018. In 2019 I was asked to join a local quilting group that made for Quilts of Valor and other organizations, after a niece showed one of the members our anniversary quilt picture. That’s when my love for quilting really took off. I’ve always liked math and all the shapes within a quilt pattern intrigued me. Before quilting, sewing baby clothes was my passion. I have been sewing clothing and crafts since an early age. I think I was about 11. We were 3 girls at home each two years apart. Mother gave us a bolt of fabric and a pattern for us each to make our own gown. She told us to follow the steps in the guide but if we didn’t understand something we could then go to her. My 15 year old sister and myself made ours. Mother made my 13 year old sister’s gown. We always said Sue would have slept naked if she would have had to sew a stitch. Not interested at all. The gowns were mid length, sleeveless, front and backs gathered to a high yoke.
Thank you for your encouragement and support. I hope my daughter loves piecing and eventually quilting as much as I do.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:43 AM

The quilt is beautiful, it turned out great. I have made the Double Slice quilt also, I think it was from MSQ. Quick, fun and easy.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:38 AM

Her quilt came out beautifully! Love the fabrics. Both of you should be proud.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:49 AM

Your daughter did an amazing job, as does her mother. Sewing is my creativity, play and passion. However
I'm envious. I tried to teach our daughter when she was a teen and she made a cross body bag from discarded denim jeans. That was the end of it. However, she has followed in her father's footsteps and has become a fabulous woodworker. With two young kids, 3 & 5, she has acquired a substantial workshop and made suspended shelving and retrofitted cabinets in the dining room; a side table, cabinet, shelving, a window seat and working on a desk, all for the 5 yr. old's bedroom. I'm proud of her.
My DDIL sews but makes costumes for the theater and herself, but her daughter 14 has no interest, so my stash will have to be used up before I die LOL
Old 08-22-2023, 04:57 AM

Congratulations to you and your DD. She did well. I wish my DD would take an interest in sewing. She just wants my finished quilts 😁