Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My first project >

My first project

My first project

Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM

I bought a mini quilt kit followed the directions and here you go!

All by hand, I need a lot of practice with cutting but like they say practice makes perfect. package said quilt in a day and I did, i'm proud I did it.

Next step buying a sewing machine, any suggestions for a beginner?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106042.jpe  
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Great looking quilt! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 PM

I love that pattern! Nice work!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Wow! You sewed the whole thing by hand in one day?!?!?! Amazing. You did a great job. As far as buying a sewing machine, that is a really personal decision. I don't think there is one machine out there that is suited to every persons needs. Ask yourself what functions you need your machine to have. Do you want a machine that can do embroidery? or just basic stitching? Will you be moving it around a lot? If so, you might want to take it's weight into consideration. Do you have a budget you need to stick with for the cost of the machine, and any accessories you might need for it? After you have decided on the answers to some of these questions you can do a google or yahoo search for sewing machines that meet those criteria. Before you buy your machine- read the reviews of both the machine and if possible who you are buying it from. Also, you can ask the members here their opinions on the machine you are considering.

OMGosh! You did it ALL BY HAND! Geez! That is so impressive. In regards to a machine, do you have one now?

Great quilt!! I would look to get a sewing machine at a local shop that provides some lessons. I always think that works best for me. I like the support!!! The other thing to keep in mind, some shops offer an upgrade within a year, I always like that option, just in case......
Old 09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Kas

It looks great! What patience to hand piece the whole thing. I usually just hand piece curved stuff. As for the machine, buy the most you can afford. Take pieces of quilt to machine dealers with service departments (you will need it sometime in your machine's life) and sew on both used and new machines. I have a newer Bernina, but my sister's is almost 20 years old (hard to believe!) and still sews like a dream. I also have a vintage 1951 Singer 301 which sews great, but only straight stitches. The machine has to fit YOUR style of sewing. Have fun and don't let anyone highpressure you. Know what you want to spend and stick to it.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Super cute! You did an excellent job. :) So are you hooked yet? I greatly admire quilters who piece or quilt my hand. :)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Thank you all so much, this website was a huge help. I did everything by hand which was not to bad however the cutting was a lot of work, my ruler keot slipping every where!

I do have a budget but... if I wait until christmas my budget will be bigger. I looked into Janome and fell in love with the dc 2010, but a brother sq9000 would also be nice. My question is, Is there such a thing as too much machine for a newbie? I dont want to be overwhelmed but I also don't want to regret it later on down the line.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM

It's very nice. I like the colors and I'm terribly impressed that it's your first and you did it all by hand! Can't wait to see more of your quilts.