Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My first quilt - BOY have I leanred a lot >

My first quilt - BOY have I leanred a lot

My first quilt - BOY have I leanred a lot

Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Mike, don't put yourself down....your corners are perfectly matched and that is just as important as staying in a ditch. The big difference is that you can remove stitches from the outside of the ditch (careful now) but to re-match corners, you'd have to dismantle the quilt.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Hey, Mike, that looks great for your first quilt! Good show!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt is great. Nice job of matching the points, good fabric choices and welcome to the board.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Welcome, Mike. Your quilt is great. Someone told me that the only perfect quilt or quilt block is the one in my head. They were right. Every quilt is a learning experience for me and I don't feel bad about fudging a little here and there. Oh, and I use my seam ripper a lot too. Last time I tried to free motion, it took me 6 hours to rip out 1 hour's worth of sewing time. I'll stick to stitch in the ditch for now. Glad you joined us.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Congratulations Mike on your first quilt. I think you did an outstanding job. Your friends will appreciate it so much more because you made it yourself. Stitching in the ditch is difficult for many seasoned quilters. In fact someone recently posted that it is easier for her to free motion quilt than to stitch in the ditch. It will all get easier with time, patience, and practice. I wish you well on your quilting journey. I look forward to seeing more projects from you. Welcome to the board.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 PM

Very sweet quilt and it looks fabulous...
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM

It looks great and I think it's wonderful that you did this. It all comes with practice. Keep it up....I love seeing men do this. Thank you for sharing with up. We are hear to support you with any questions, etc you may have.
Sarah in No. Calif

Originally Posted by miholmes
Hey there,

So this is my FIRST quilt ever...it was a learned experience. I wasn't sure how to use the seam ripper at first (thanks for showing me mom). So I accidentally made a small rip or 2 with it. So the zigzag stitch came in handy.

This is a baby quilt for a friend, and I ALMOST didn't give it to them. I thought I should make a new one and just chalk this one up to practice. But they said NO they wanted this one, so I boxing it up and shipping it to Boston this weekend.

I'm looking forward to finishing up my next quilt this evening tomorrow morning. And I can't tell you how much easier this one has been, compared to the other.

The pictures aren't the BEST cause it's hanging over my treadmill. But you get the idea. :)

P.S. This was the first time using my walking foot and stitching in the ditch...as you can see...sometimes I didn't quite stay in the ditch....like I said this was a learning experience.

~mike
Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Mike, you did a great job! How thoughtful of you to make your friends a baby quilt AND what wonderful friends to say they wanted your first attempt instead of a "do over"!! I hope you enjoy quiting and stay with it. It is wonderful you and your mama have a hobby to share.

Margie
Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 AM

Very good job for a first quilt!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM

MIKE YOU GET TOP QUILTER OF THE YEAR AWARD LOL FOR YOUR FIRST OF MANY QUILTS