My first Quilt ...now what ???

My first Quilt ...now what ???

Old 12-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
SID=stitch in ditch

Great first quilt!
thought that be what that meant but wasn't sure ..thank you :D
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Once you get it quilted, trim the batting off , I leave about 1/4 inch beyond the top. Then trim the backing straight, I leave about 1 1/4 inches beyond the top. turn the backing over to the front to make the binding. and stitch down on the edge.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 AM

If you go on line here on our board to the word "Search" then type in key words like "binding" or "crosshatching" then articles will come up to help you. Also you can do the same thing on "Utube" and see a short movie or clip of how to do somethings.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 AM

Sounds like she's talking about how to bind it, not quilt it. Use the search function above and you'll find the topic discussed in length. That said, I think most people quilt before binding (?)
Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
Originally Posted by bj
Very nice quilt! You could do a simple stitch in the ditch on all the seams or tie it, if you aren't comfortable with quilting it. I really like the two accent blocks with the funky fabric...they add some whimsy. Be sure and let us see the finished product!
Is that where I just fold the edges together and sew and the out line of my quilt still shows?? Or are you saying it will have the lil roll like seam around the edges?
How about binding this in that funky print fabric. here is a tutorial on how to make and attach bindings: http://valeriecustomquilting.com/tut...achBinding.pdf Good luck
Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

nice work. I like the colors!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

The first step is to quilt, and it sounds as if you want to do that by machine. I personally find stitch-in-the-ditch nerve-wracking; it's very difficult to do that perfectly. Free-motion quilting usually takes a *lot* of practice to become comfortable. Easiest way to quilt for me is to use a walking foot.

You can mark a straight line with blue painter's tape (removes easily without leaving adhesive on the fabric) and use that to guide you while using a walking foot. You could do diagonal lines in one direction only, or add diagonal lines in the opposite direction as well to form cross-hatching. You could even do a chevron, with a straight line from a corner to the center, a turn, and then straight line from center to the next corner.

Easiest is to not mark lines and just make gently curving lines while sewing with the walking foot. These can be cross-hatched also. This is a much more free-form style of quilting.

Once you have finished quilting, you need to bind the edges of the quilt. Here is a good Youtube tutorial on how to bind completely by machine (although many people sew the binding on one side by machine, then finish the final side by hand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related
Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by Darlene's
Originally Posted by bj
Very nice quilt! You could do a simple stitch in the ditch on all the seams or tie it, if you aren't comfortable with quilting it. I really like the two accent blocks with the funky fabric...they add some whimsy. Be sure and let us see the finished product!
Is that where I just fold the edges together and sew and the out line of my quilt still shows?? Or are you saying it will have the lil roll like seam around the edges?
How about binding this in that funky print fabric. here is a tutorial on how to make and attach bindings: http://valeriecustomquilting.com/tut...achBinding.pdf Good luck
Hey good idea girl thank you so much !!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The first step is to quilt, and it sounds as if you want to do that by machine. I personally find stitch-in-the-ditch nerve-wracking; it's very difficult to do that perfectly. Free-motion quilting usually takes a *lot* of practice to become comfortable. Easiest way to quilt for me is to use a walking foot.

You can mark a straight line with blue painter's tape (removes easily without leaving adhesive on the fabric) and use that to guide you while using a walking foot. You could do diagonal lines in one direction only, or add diagonal lines in the opposite direction as well to form cross-hatching. You could even do a chevron, with a straight line from a corner to the center, a turn, and then straight line from center to the next corner.

Easiest is to not mark lines and just make gently curving lines while sewing with the walking foot. These can be cross-hatched also. This is a much more free-form style of quilting.

Once you have finished quilting, you need to bind the edges of the quilt. Here is a good Youtube tutorial on how to bind completely by machine (although many people sew the binding on one side by machine, then finish the final side by hand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related
thank you so much !!! just the help I needed :lol:
Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM

So pretty and cheerful. I will let someone else tell you how to put it together....I have only made one, and not sure if I did it right....Blessings