My first quilt off the longarm >

My first quilt off the longarm

My first quilt off the longarm

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 AM

Great Job1!!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
I just love how adding the right border can turn an ugly duckling into a piece of art. Your quilting was wonderful. I can only believe you had already been FMQ on a regular sewing machine. Or, you are one of the fastest learners on the planet Earth. lol I will be buying a LA sometime this year. You are years ahead of me. Any suggestions you have as for my preparing for the LA will be appreciated.

GREAT JOB!!!!!
Thanks! Advice on LA prepping, try as many machines as you can to decide what feels best to you. I only tried out two. An HQ and the Innova. It only took a small test drive on the Innova for me to know it felt right. I loved the smoothness of it and the price was right.
My FMQ on my DSM left a lot ot be desired. I had a lot of trouble regulating my stitch length and getting smooth curves. I never tried anything bigger then a kids quilt (about 60" square). I never stretched my comfort zone either so mostly I did meander on FMQ and following marked lines. I did not want to fall into that trap with the LA so I wanted to do anything but meander with my first quilts. Not to say there is anything wrong with meander. I love it done small as a background filler and it is a good design for patchwork that doesn't need any extra oomph of elaborate quilting. The best advice I can give in prepping for your LA is doodle, doodle and then doodle some more on regular paper or get an erasable white board. I bought a big pad of drawing paper and spend a lot of time drawing possible quilt motifs. It is really amazing how this repetitive doodling transfers to a kind of muscle memory even though the motions of drawing and LAing is different. If you draw the design enough times it just kind of transfers naturally to LAing, at least it seems to for me.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
Are you crazy?
That is a beautiful quilt, you did a great job of quilting it and the back of the quilt is lovely as well.
I wish I had that much skill.
Kirsten
I totally agree w/Kirsten! This is amazing! I would love to be able to have 1/4 of the tallent you have! This is gorgeous!!! Honestly......if this quilt needs a new home send it my way....cat puke and all! LOL LOVE IT!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 AM

As a longarmer.. I say you did great. That is a great job.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Love the colors think you did a great job on the quilt and the longarm designs...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 AM

For a first timer, you have given me inspiration to try this myself. I am wanting to buy a longarm. What make is yours. From what i have seen, it looks like you can do so many different designs. WOW. Well done
Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I can't believe that's your first longarm project. You did an exceptional job, especially those pebbles. I think you chose well with different patterns in different areas. I'm really impressed!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Love the quilt and good job on the practice
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM

I think youdid a great job. Your quilt turned out beautifully! :)
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Sometimes, you just need a little time to "STEP AWAY FROM THE QUILT"! And it truly is amazing how the texture of quilting can really bring something to life. Congratulations, this is beautiful, and an indication of your skill. I love the motifs you used to enhance the blocks. Have fun with your machine. I have been "doodling with my giant sewing machine" now for over five years, and still can't wait to get up in the morning to get quilting!!