Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Grandmother's Flower Garden

Now some of you might have seen some of these flowers before, but I had it under something different, so this thread is going to be entirely devoted to this quilt's progress. My goal is to have it done by the time I graduate college, which leaves me 4 years to piece, quilt and bind it. Today I finished cutting all the flowers and leaves, I don't have the white muslin yet for the paths.

my big flowers that are done
    Name:  Attachment-253808.jpe
Views: 144
Size:  47.7 KB

my 2 little flowers that are done so far
    Name:  Attachment-253809.jpe
Views: 140
Size:  49.9 KB

stack of big flowers pinned in groups and the pile of the one I'm currently working on
    Name:  Attachment-253810.jpe
Views: 144
Size:  46.8 KB

the stack of little flowers (1 ring)
    Name:  Attachment-253812.jpe
Views: 145
Size:  41.5 KB

and all the green hexis, that's right, all 480 of them plus 5 extra so I can switch one out if I want to
    Name:  Attachment-253814.jpe
Views: 137
Size:  44.2 KB

and my pattern, but not specifically this layout
    Name:  Attachment-253815.jpe
Views: 150
Size:  120.5 KB

its going to be beautiful looking forward to see the progress of this

Awesome

It going to be beautiful and your off to a great start. Can't wait to see each step as you go.

Blog Entries
    This is a beautiful project you have going...I love the grandma's flower garden pattern...takes a lot of patience to make it...

One of my favorite patterns...I don't think I can wait 4 years though. lol :)

That is going to be beautiful. I am half way through mine and it has taken a year. Just working on it when visiting my dad in the evenings and waiting for appointments.

oh, major good luck to you! i started mine when my children were in high school and thought for sure i'd have it done before i became a granny - no problem. 13 years later . . . now for sure i'll have it done before i'm a great-granny, right? lots and lots of hand sewing. that part is done, still working on hand quilting, occasionally!!!

thanks guys! and it's going to be a queen sized quilt as I want to do at least one of them in my lifetime, so I figured I'd do my favorite pattern. The finished hexi side is 1 9/16 (was aiming for about 1 1/2, but oh well!) so 1 flower is quite large and it doesn't take too many flowers to finish a row, which is good, because if they were the traditional 1 inch hexis, I would never get it done!

This was started because it was hot out and the sewing area was too hot to work in so I figured this would just be something to work on while it's too hot in my room, but I'm hooked and can't stop sewing these together!

It will be pretty when finished.

very exciting, hoping my daughter will start a quilting group at her college!!! good luck and keep up the sewing!!

Your quilt plan is wonderful. I feel certain you will get it done, what a great goal.

QM
    Good for you.. I look forward to it, to inspire me to complete my Field of Diamonds (GFG variant) quilt which has been a ufo for a couple of years now.

and I have another flower done! I finished it last night, but the light wasn't good enough. And I'm waiting to finish all the flowers before I start attaching leaves because they're scrappy and I want each flower to look it's very best.

And I've also realized that this quilt is going to have a lot of emotions quilted/sewn into it. As when I'm a little upset or mad or bored or happy, I just pick it up and sew everything into it. And I always feel better afterword :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by QM
    Good for you.. I look forward to it, to inspire me to complete my Field of Diamonds (GFG variant) quilt which has been a ufo for a couple of years now.
    I would love to see pictures of yours! This is my all time favorite pattern and I love just looking at pictures of them! Please share!!

Here are the two latest additions of flowers. The pink one was finished some time ago but I couldn't find my camera. But the orange one was done completely while I was at work during break (15 minutes a day). One of the older guys that serves as the janitor asked me what I was making and when I told him he said it was a good thing young people like me still like to do "lady-like" things. I smiled and laughed. He asks me every day how I'm doing with it.

I had to get a close up of the one and only fussy cut in this quilt, and yes, you can see my stiches :(
    Name:  Attachment-271573.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  27.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images