Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Most Confusing Quilt  by Danmar >

My Most Confusing Quilt by Danmar

My Most Confusing Quilt by Danmar

Old 03-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
Beautiful quilt, pays to hang in there and keep going sometimes.
It sure is pretty.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by danmar
Originally Posted by mimee4
Thank you for posting your journey of making this quilt. To see it at the beginning and how it ended - what a transformation and I thought at the beginning I liked what you had. Then you changed it and made it exquisite. WOW!
Thank you so much mimee! Most of my quilts are an "adventure" since I don't use real patterns to make them. I just pick a block or 28 blocks like my star quilt or whatever, and then build a quilt around them. Thank you so much for the compliments! I appreciate it. I like the way it turned out.
I'm thinking about starting a Personal Diary on here. I could write to my hearts content and share the quilts that went "bad" and the ones that I still want to make since my original layout idea didn't work for that one. (They will work on some other quilt though!) Thanks again!
Marilyn
Your approach to quilting starts very similar to mine. I see a block, like it, make it up and from there, where it goes and what happens will be know in the end. Yours are so beautiful and more thought out than mine and it's obvious but it sure is fun, isn't it. I just found the diary area yesterday myself and have been considering it myself as that would be a nice way to document what's going on.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by mimee4
Thank you for posting your journey of making this quilt. To see it at the beginning and how it ended - what a transformation and I thought at the beginning I liked what you had. Then you changed it and made it exquisite. WOW!
Thank you so much mimee! Most of my quilts are an "adventure" since I don't use real patterns to make them. I just pick a block or 28 blocks like my star quilt or whatever, and then build a quilt around them. Thank you so much for the compliments! I appreciate it. I like the way it turned out.
I'm thinking about starting a Personal Diary on here. I could write to my hearts content and share the quilts that went "bad" and the ones that I still want to make since my original layout idea didn't work for that one. (They will work on some other quilt though!) Thanks again!
Marilyn
Your approach to quilting starts very similar to mine. I see a block, like it, make it up and from there, where it goes and what happens will be know in the end. Yours are so beautiful and more thought out than mine and it's obvious but it sure is fun, isn't it. I just found the diary area yesterday myself and have been considering it myself as that would be a nice way to document what's going on.
Thank you so much Patty. Yep! We approach quilts about the same then. It's hard to tell what mine will look like too when I get them finished. Yes! It is definitely alot of fun. I love laying them out, taking pictures, moving them around in different layouts, etc. I even go so far sometimes as to make things in 3 different colors, to see which I really like best. I did that on my Field of Diamonds.

I have been thinking about the diary too. My Grandma always wanted me to write a book about my life. Can you believe that? I wrote her very detailed letters about everything that went on and she saved them all. I always keep a diary as a child and then a journal alot of the time as an adult. I think it may be fun to start my Quilting Diary on here.

Thank you very much for the compliments on my abilities and my quilts. I love your work too!

Marilyn
Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 PM

You're amazing. I'll be checking in to see if you do set up a diary.
Patty
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM

I liked all the layouts! The finished product is beautiful though! How is it quilted?

Congrats on all your hard work!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I liked all the layouts! The finished product is beautiful though! How is it quilted?

Thank you very much Rachel! I liked all the layouts too but just not particularily for this quilt.

It's 110" x 110" so I hand tied it. I did that SITD on one queen size quilt and it was so hard to get the quilt through the little opening there in the machine.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM

What a beautiful quilt. You must really love your SIL.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM

I think you did an awesome job. Your perseverance paid off! Love the kitty peeking too!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by Barbm
what did you do with the other star blocks?

this turned out gorgeous. I have some of the same green fabric.
I still have them stuffed in a drawer with other left overs and WIP for someday. I love the different fabrics.
I too liked the first one, I am a star freak Anything star is my fav. but they are ALL pretty
I'm sending you a PM.
Marilyn
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80

Thank you very much Rachel! I liked all the layouts too but just not particularily for this quilt.

It's 110" x 110" so I hand tied it. I did that SITD on one queen size quilt and it was so hard to get the quilt through the little opening there in the machine.
Marilyn,
you are doing a lovely job with your work. I too can't machine quilt large quilts but you have you considered learning how to do a quilt as you go projects. Although I prefer to hand quilt, I do use a variation of the techniques in this book and she offers several techniques to follow. I found it at http://www.nancysnotions.com
but know you can find it at other quilting sites. I've been shopping with Nancys Notions for years as it was the best source of sewing supplies I had available way back when in small town IL. Although I no longer need this book, I purchased it recently so I can show the ladies in my quilt chapter how to do it as several are amazed that I can hand quilt my quilts in panels and how well and neatly it works. They want to do the quilting on machine so the technique required is different from what I use. Also, some of the techniques shown on this board look very interesting to me as well.

However, you are happy doing what you doing, your work is gorgeous so continue as you are. I'm in awe of your work but it is something you may want to consider. I agree totally that quilting a full sized quilt is a huge challenge on a regular sewing machine which is why I say follow your heart and instincts but while doing so, open up the mind a bit and see what you can learn and may one day want to try. Should the time come when I may not be able to quilt, tying may become a solution for me and we're lucky to have options. I just know that there is no way I could afford to hire many quilts professionally quilted due to the cost.

Machine quilting in sections
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27805[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27805.jpe