Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Most Confusing Quilt  by Danmar >

My Most Confusing Quilt by Danmar

My Most Confusing Quilt by Danmar

Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by danmar
Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I liked all the layouts! The finished product is beautiful though! How is it quilted?

Congrats on all your hard work!
Thank you very much Rachel! I liked all the layouts too but just not particularily for this quilt.

It's 110" x 110" so I hand tied it. I did that SITD on one queen size quilt and it was so hard to get the quilt through the little opening there in the machine.
Marilyn,
you are doing a lovely job with your work. I too can't machine quilt large quilts but you have you considered learning how to do a quilt as you go projects. Although I prefer to hand quilt, I do use a variation of the techniques in this book and she offers several techniques to follow. I found it at http://www.nancysnotions.com
but know you can find it at other quilting sites. I've been shopping with Nancys Notions for years as it was the best source of sewing supplies I had available way back when in small town IL. Although I no longer need this book, I purchased it recently so I can show the ladies in my quilt chapter how to do it as several are amazed that I can hand quilt my quilts in panels and how well and neatly it works. They want to do the quilting on machine so the technique required is different from what I use. Also, some of the techniques shown on this board look very interesting to me as well.

However, you are happy doing what you doing, your work is gorgeous so continue as you are. I'm in awe of your work but it is something you may want to consider. I agree totally that quilting a full sized quilt is a huge challenge on a regular sewing machine which is why I say follow your heart and instincts but while doing so, open up the mind a bit and see what you can learn and may one day want to try. Should the time come when I may not be able to quilt, tying may become a solution for me and we're lucky to have options. I just know that there is no way I could afford to hire many quilts professionally quilted due to the cost.
How awesome!!! I want to get that book now. (Or at least when I can afford it!) I would much rather machine quilt them if I can figure out how. Thank you so much for the information!
Marilyn
Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I liked all the layouts! The finished product is beautiful though! How is it quilted?

Congrats on all your hard work!
Thank you very much Rachel! I liked all the layouts too but just not particularily for this quilt.

It's 110" x 110" so I hand tied it. I did that SITD on one queen size quilt and it was so hard to get the quilt through the little opening there in the machine.
Marilyn,
you are doing a lovely job with your work. I too can't machine quilt large quilts but you have you considered learning how to do a quilt as you go projects. Although I prefer to hand quilt, I do use a variation of the techniques in this book and she offers several techniques to follow. I found it at http://www.nancysnotions.com
but know you can find it at other quilting sites. I've been shopping with Nancys Notions for years as it was the best source of sewing supplies I had available way back when in small town IL. Although I no longer need this book, I purchased it recently so I can show the ladies in my quilt chapter how to do it as several are amazed that I can hand quilt my quilts in panels and how well and neatly it works. They want to do the quilting on machine so the technique required is different from what I use. Also, some of the techniques shown on this board look very interesting to me as well.

However, you are happy doing what you doing, your work is gorgeous so continue as you are. I'm in awe of your work but it is something you may want to consider. I agree totally that quilting a full sized quilt is a huge challenge on a regular sewing machine which is why I say follow your heart and instincts but while doing so, open up the mind a bit and see what you can learn and may one day want to try. Should the time come when I may not be able to quilt, tying may become a solution for me and we're lucky to have options. I just know that there is no way I could afford to hire many quilts professionally quilted due to the cost.
How awesome!!! I want to get that book now. (Or at least when I can afford it!) I would much rather machine quilt them if I can figure out how. Thank you so much for the information!
Marilyn
Thank you for not minding my sharing about the book. You do such beautifuly work and are so talented and brilliant with your designs that I'd love to see you enter into the world of machine quilting. You will have seams on the back but that doesn't bother me. I've hand sewn the seams and machine sewn them. Since my technique is a variation that works for a hand quilter, my seams are machine quilted but that puts way too much quilt on the machine to machine quilt, in my opinion. I've looked for the book at JoAnn's and never found but read about it in Nancy's catalogue which is the add that I attached. You might be able to get a better price on Amazon.com or some other location on line. I'm skitterish about where I give out my credit card info and try to stick with reputable businesses that I know won't be a problem. The book is worth the money as she has options so you can find what you are comfortable to do. In the meantime, do a seach on this board and read what's talked about there. There have been two techniques recently covered on other areas that I've found interesting as I'm entering into the world of machine quilting too but at this point prefer to continue doing the detail quilt embellisments by hand but oh it would be so much faster to machine quilt the whole quilt and then add like I recently did with my butterfly throw.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM

It's beautiful, and I see that it has properly been "cat-tested" All mine are cat-tested too!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM

LOve those colors
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I want to thank you all again for all the compliments and interest in my quilts! Thank You!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Wow!! Green's not my favorite color, but I just might change my mind after seeing this quilt!! Great job hanging there to get it done for your SIL!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

I loved the first one the best, but it is just beautiful. Penny
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 AM

Very pretty, I like the finished layout
Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Google Goddess

Wow, I love your quilt, thanks for taking the time to show us different ways. Beautiful!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Google Goddess

Are you going to make curtains or more pillows to match your quilt???