Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mother's UFOs

My Mother's UFOs

My Mother recently passed away, after a long battle with Parkinsons and dementia. She went very peacefully, and this weekend my 9 siblings and I gathered to start cleaning out the house.

I'm the only one that is interested in sewing, so I took the quilting items, many UFO's from 20- 25 years ago. Last summer I had taken the quilt top that was finished for Sister # 6 and quilted it up for her. - Getting it done at the end of February.

At that time we also found another box of 2.5" squares, with Boston Commons written on the box, and Sister #2's name.

I cut more squares and put it together - it will be going on the frame soon.

I also learned of several more UFO's that a sister and SIL had - and they brought them this weekend to come home with me, as they knew they'd never get them done.

This one is for Sister #4 (BTW, I'm #5). The magazine was folded over, so I will assume this is what my Mom wanted it to be.

And the UFO - along with a box of cut out hexagons and a lot of blue fabric.

This one is for a niece, with notes to use the same pattern for other nieces - I think two got completed, so I'll be finishing this and making a few more in different colors.

And the UFO - along with several more blocks and fabric to finish it - and some quilting templates.

And one more, I found notes that my Mom had intended to make one called May Baskets for her mother, and I'm not sure if this would be that pattern or not. If so, I'll keep this one for myself as I was named after Grandma and Mom (as is my daughter). I'd sure love to keep one of the UFO's for myself, but won't if it was marked for someone else already.

There are also many single blocks for small pillows, and other panels.

My Mom and Dad started traveling after he retired, and she switched from sewing to crochet, and all of the kids/grandkids have afghans and hats/scarves and other hand made items.

My goal is to continue the tradition and make sure each of my siblings and neices and nephews have quilts - then I'll see where it goes. I love making quilts so having a lot to give away works for me LOL!!

From the eulogy - my Mother is survived by 10 childern, 27 grand childern, 15 great grandchildern, and 1 great-great grand child - and plenty of the grandchildern are still at it - and the great grandchildern are just getting old enough to start making more too!

Mom did finish a few quilts, but I'll still have a long way to go if I want to complete her plan.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

And the older ones - these would have been made by my grandmother - all need work from wear/moth damage.

This is an all wool top

And two very worn ones.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Looks like your Mother stayed busy! Now it looks like you have a lot of work to do but I'm sure it will be a labor of love to finish all those!!

Power Poster
    It looks like you are putting everyone else first but save a nice one for yourself. You are the one doing all the work and you deserve to have a nice quilt made by your mother on your bed. I know it might be hard to put yourself forward a little but it is your mother's legacy for you as well.

Cathy, you have a very generous spirit - fulfilling your mother's wishes rather than your own. I hope your family appreciates your efforts.

God Bless you as you work to finish the tops and restore the quilts the best you can. Such wonderful memories you will create and restore.

Blog Entries
    What a heritage your Mom and Grandmother passed on to you. I hope you are able to encourage at least one of the next generation to also continue. It is a priceless skill!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I hope your siblings and their children on down the line realize what a very caring person you are. We know how your children are and I'm guessing you taught them well to appreciate what you're doing.

What an awesome opportunity to be able to have two generations of quilting done in each quilt. Will truly be a treasure for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Oh my. it looks like you will be very busy for a while.

Blog Entries
    Wow! She certainly had high ambitions. I'm sorry for your loss. I am glad that you are planning on finishing what she started. That's very nice of you.
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry for your loss. You will be busy for a long while. This will sure help you with your grief. Hopefully everyone for which a quilt was intended will appreciate it. I also hope that you with keep one for yourself! Some beautiful ones in there.

Enjoy the process. I am sure that you will be thinking of your mother with every stitch you take and that finishing her quilts will be sweet!

Wow what a treasure you have, your plans to complete her project and gift your family with her love, and yours, is perfect. Enjoy the journey through your past.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    very nice......

Wow they are all just lovely. What a treasure.

Blog Entries
    wow, what a lot of beautiful work.. and so great that you can finish them
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Your Mom was a talented quilter.. it is so generous of you to complete these and then give them to family. I am fascinated she had placed some information with some of the UFO projects.

Blog Entries
    beautiful quilts
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful thing you are doing! They are beautiful quilts!!!

Power Poster
    what a treasure they are all wonderful!!!
    QUILTNMO

I'm so sorry that you lost your mother. But it's wonderful that you have so many projects of hers that you can finish. Don't feel bad about keeping some of them for yourself. She would have wanted you to have something from her too.

I am sorry for your loss of your Mother. What a family. Nice for you to do all this work.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

What an amazing legacy. These quilts are all wonderful and you are wonderful for finishing them and giving them to siblings and nieces/nephews. Don't forget to keep something nice for yourself. Your mom would want that.

Sweet memories along with the UFO's! Thanks for sharing the beautiful story and the lovely quilts.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast