Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my new sewing room >

my new sewing room

my new sewing room

Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM

I think your room is absolutely beautiful! That staircase really takes my eye.
I am very happy for you. I wish you many enjoyable hours in that room.
Do you mind if I ask the overall size?
It makes me want to get rid of some of my "stuff" so my room would look nicer, but I wouldn't be able to choose anything to get rid of.
Hugs, Joyce in MI
Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 AM

What a fabulous room--you have every right to be proud!! Thank you so much for showing it to us. I love your fabric organization system and just may have to do the same.

Now--go sew and mess that place up!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Great sewing room. You've done a super job. I see the results of those organizers you were talking about for your fabric. Really a good idea! So much easier to take on and off the shelves. Looks like you don't have a problem of not enough shelves for your stash - YET! Time to go shopping!

I noticed the mats by your cutting table. Do they help reduce the fatigue from standing on a hard basement floor?

And PLENTY of lights. Wow. I'm sure I'll find more to ooh and aaahhh about if I keep on looking.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Be still my heart....sigh, what a dream quilt studio! You are so fortunate.

You fabrics look fantastic. hmmmm, wonder if I cut my cardboard bolts in half and use them to wrap my fabrics on would work? Gotta give it a try.

Thanks so much for sharing your studio with us.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM

reneebobby-Yes I like those tongue and groove knotty pine boards too. I live in a post and beam house so those boards are fitting. They were installed already when we bought the house.

jeannie-No I don't use that machine, it is a treadle machine. I just like it for the look. I have another old one upstairs in the main house.

Joyce-The staircase is the way up to the main house. My room, from the staircase when you first enter the room is 9 feet wide, then once you pass the fabric it goes to 22 feet wide, then it is 20 feet long.

JoanneS-Yes I love those fabric sheet organizers. I ended up buying 400 sheets and used all but 10. I am going shopping this weekend, so I will probably use them up this weekend. :) Those mats definitely help me. They are the puzzle pieces that you see in kids rooms or exercise rooms. I bought them at Walmart. I have a bone spur in my left heal, so when I wear my Clark clogs and stand on those mats, my heal doesn't hurt.

wraez-I was going to use cardboard sleeves, but with being in the basement I didn't want them to get bent from moisture, even though I use a dehumidifier, I didn't want to take the chance. But I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sandiphi
JoanneS-Yes I love those fabric sheet organizers. I ended up buying 400 sheets and used all but 10. I am going shopping this weekend, so I will probably use them up this weekend. :) Those mats definitely help me. They are the puzzle pieces that you see in kids rooms or exercise rooms. I bought them at Walmart. I have a bone spur in my left heal, so when I wear my Clark clogs and stand on those mats, my heal doesn't hurt.
I've been thinking about getting them, because my KNEES really hurt after a few minutes of rotary cutting. Can't give THAT up, so I think I'll try the mats. I do wear good arch supports in my sneakers, so my feet no longer bother me, but, OH, the knees. It's a b***h to get oldER :twisted:
but I refuse to give in :lol:
Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Sandi, I did notice your dehumidifier in a photo below your fabric...great idea for a basement. When we lived in OH we had one in our basement too, but I didn't sew back then. Now we live in CA with not much humidity and no basements.

Definitely going to try cutting all those cardboard things I've been saving. Thanks for the idea.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM

I am absolutely jealous! It looks like you put this room to good use, though. Great lighting, too.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM

The dehumidier runs 24/7. Can't have my fabric getting damp. It works really good. Everything stays dry. Good luck with your cardboard things you've been saving, hopefully it will work for you.

Mats run about $25.00 for 6, I think.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 PM

What size are the boards that you wrap your fabric on? I have purchased foam board to make some but not sure of size?