Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My new wip, how would you quilt this?? >

My new wip, how would you quilt this??

My new wip, how would you quilt this??

Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM

You mention that this might be used as a fund-raising quilt and that you've though of sending it out to be quilted? In my experience, anyone who is a NON-quilter (WHAT??? - there are people out there that don't quilt? so sad for them! ) doesn't really know custom from overall quilting. They will buy tickets based on 1) do they want to support the cause and 2) does the item appeal to them. Your quilt already has "Wow" factor based on the beautiful design and color choices. Of course you don't want to quilt it in a way which detracts from that, but a pretty allover design would look fine and allow the quilt to be finished at a reasonable cost. Baptist fans would be in keeping with the civil war timeframe, or perhaps a pretty feather design.

If you prefer to do it yourself, I've sketched one idea on your photo. Straight lines through the chains, a simple feather in the triangular areas, and SID the elements of each block. (If I were longarming it I would use CC (continuous curve) in the block elements, but I don't know how difficult that might be to do on a domestic machine.) Maybe a feather here and there in some of the larger areas. And a complementary feather border.

Can't wait to see this finished, I really love this quilt!

Andi
Attached Thumbnails civilwar.png  
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM

you did a fantastic job
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 AM

beautiful I love it
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Awesome job!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
You mention that this might be used as a fund-raising quilt and that you've though of sending it out to be quilted? In my experience, anyone who is a NON-quilter (WHAT??? - there are people out there that don't quilt? so sad for them! ) doesn't really know custom from overall quilting. They will buy tickets based on 1) do they want to support the cause and 2) does the item appeal to them. Your quilt already has "Wow" factor based on the beautiful design and color choices. Of course you don't want to quilt it in a way which detracts from that, but a pretty allover design would look fine and allow the quilt to be finished at a reasonable cost. Baptist fans would be in keeping with the civil war timeframe, or perhaps a pretty feather design.

If you prefer to do it yourself, I've sketched one idea on your photo. Straight lines through the chains, a simple feather in the triangular areas, and SID the elements of each block. (If I were longarming it I would use CC (continuous curve) in the block elements, but I don't know how difficult that might be to do on a domestic machine.) Maybe a feather here and there in some of the larger areas. And a complementary feather border.

Can't wait to see this finished, I really love this quilt!

Andi
Oh, thank you so much for doing this!
I saw the grid pattern on the dark squares, but then I guess I had the "block mentality" of just looking at the pieced blocks and the setting blocks separately.
Much better the way you incorporate part of the setting blocks in the quilting design!!
what do you mean by Continuous curve?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Oops, sorry for using confusing terminology ;-).

Many longarmers prefer not to do stitch-in-the-ditch (SID) as it requires more control of the machine, going slower, and using a ruler to keep the machine steady. And while outlining 1/4 inch away from seams is a fairly common way of hand quilting, in longarming it requires many starts and stops and tying off which again slows us down.

An alternative is continuous curve (CC) where we make a gentle curve from one point to the next in a block or unit. It mimics the look of the 1/4" outlining, but with planning can be continuous so you rarely have to stop and tie off threads. You can see what it looks like in this example in the four-patches and half-square triangles. I use it quite often as it highlights the piecing without being too busy. I especially like it for sampler-type quilts as it provides continuity between blocks that may be very different.

Andi
Attached Thumbnails dscn7143-copy.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM

WOW! Love the pattern. Love your stash. Did you even make a dent in it? I'm a piecer, the quilting part always stumps me. Can't wait to see it finished!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM

**Beautiful**
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 AM

I love the quilt, have marked the page for a future project for me. It looks very charming and "clean" good job!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
Oops, sorry for using confusing terminology ;-).

Many longarmers prefer not to do stitch-in-the-ditch (SID) as it requires more control of the machine, going slower, and using a ruler to keep the machine steady. And while outlining 1/4 inch away from seams is a fairly common way of hand quilting, in longarming it requires many starts and stops and tying off which again slows us down.

An alternative is continuous curve (CC) where we make a gentle curve from one point to the next in a block or unit. It mimics the look of the 1/4" outlining, but with planning can be continuous so you rarely have to stop and tie off threads. You can see what it looks like in this example in the four-patches and half-square triangles. I use it quite often as it highlights the piecing without being too busy. I especially like it for sampler-type quilts as it provides continuity between blocks that may be very different.

Andi
thank you so much, that makes sense. plus, it looks great imo.
your quilting looks fabulous!