Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My Rag Quilts >
  • My Rag Quilts

• My Rag Quilts

Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by pjselzler
    Prayers have been sent your way!!! Beautiful Rag Quilts!
    Thank you Hope!!
    Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sibi
    I've always wanted to quilt but found it a bit intimidating. So I thought I would start by making a rag quilt since it seemed easier to me. Well, I'm happy to say I've made 2 so far and I'm on my third one. I love them and they are so fun to make!! Here are pics of my 2 quilts so far....
    Don't be put off making other quilts. As the saying goes if you own a machine and can sew a straight line you can make a quilt.
    Aside from putting the seams on the inside and making the quilt sandwich you have already done it.
    Choose something like simple squares. I've seen people almost give up because they struggle with triangles. You will work up to them.I will pass on to you what I think is the best tip I ever found. When lining up seams, put a pin on either and sew over them. I promise if you have lined the seams up properly they won't ever shift. Don't use fork pins as they are too far from the seam.
    Feel free to PM me if I can help. I have been sewing for at least 50 years and quilting for almost 8 years.
    I've include a few photos of some quilts I made back in 2006.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-184437.jpe   attachment-184438.jpe   attachment-184439.jpe  
    Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Just saw your second post. I'm so sorry for you & your Mum. May God bless you both.
    Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your very kind comments! The first quilt I made for my son (the black/organge/yellow rag quilt) for his 15th b day. If you look at the close up you can see guitars in some of the fabric...it is a musically themed quilt. The purple/blue/yellow pastel quilt I made for my mother who loves blues and lavenders. I gave it to her for her 50th wedding anniversary 1 week ago. She absolutely loved it so that made me happy :-D

But my happiness is short lived since she just told me tonight that she has stage 4 lung cancer. I am still in shock..... If there are any prayer warriors out there please send up an extra prayer for my mother Sylvia.

Thanks
    ((((HUGS)))) My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The quilts are beautiful. You did a fantastic job. I am sure that you will be of great comfort to your mom and the "quilt hug" will give her extra comfort!
    Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Nice job they are fun to make and I discovered the rag top nippers very quickly, makes ragging them easier and faster.
    Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
    I've always wanted to quilt but found it a bit intimidating. So I thought I would start by making a rag quilt since it seemed easier to me. Well, I'm happy to say I've made 2 so far and I'm on my third one. I love them and they are so fun to make!! Here are pics of my 2 quilts so far....
    Don't be put off making other quilts. As the saying goes if you own a machine and can sew a straight line you can make a quilt.
    Aside from putting the seams on the inside and making the quilt sandwich you have already done it.
    Choose something like simple squares. I've seen people almost give up because they struggle with triangles. You will work up to them.I will pass on to you what I think is the best tip I ever found. When lining up seams, put a pin on either and sew over them. I promise if you have lined the seams up properly they won't ever shift. Don't use fork pins as they are too far from the seam.
    Feel free to PM me if I can help. I have been sewing for at least 50 years and quilting for almost 8 years.
    I've include a few photos of some quilts I made back in 2006.
    Kate,

Your quilts are bright and cheery and lovely! It is very kind of you to offer your expertise, I appreciate it very much! As I continue to take baby steps in this new hobby I will call on you for tips :D

Sibi