Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My sewing rooms >

My sewing rooms

My sewing rooms

Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Wow!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 AM

I am SOOO jealous! Not only two rooms but two large rooms! We have very limited space and my "quilting rooom" is a mess. Wouldn't dare post any pictures. But I'm making progress on my stash.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM

I am totally jealous, I want a big sewing room all to myself. I use the guest bedroom right now and it had a full sized bed in the middle of the room that gets in the way alot.

I am thinking it needs to go, the frame can just be put into storage. The matress is shot anyway and needs to be replace.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by kkbrand
I am totally jealous, I want a big sewing room all to myself. I use the guest bedroom right now and it had a full sized bed in the middle of the room that gets in the way alot.

I am thinking it needs to go, the frame can just be put into storage. The matress is shot anyway and needs to be replace.
I would get rid of the bed and get an air mattress with a base for the times you have a guest. We have a guest room which gets used approx. 10 days a year at max. My sewing room is actually another bedroom and the quilting room was the gameroom. Our home is larger than we need since it is only the 2 of us; however, the sewing rooms are important to me and I do not wish to lose them so we stay here. My husband knows that if we downsize, we must make room for my sewing equipment.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm designing my dream craft room and would like any information you can give as to cabinetry, furnishings, dimensions to consider, etc. Still a long way in the future, but I take forever to figure out what I want, so that's OK.

Need to figure out hubby's as well, leatherwork, photography and model railroad layout.

Think we need to win the lottery...oh yeah have to play the lottery to do that don't you! LOL
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I'm designing my dream craft room and would like any information you can give as to cabinetry, furnishings, dimensions to consider, etc. Still a long way in the future, but I take forever to figure out what I want, so that's OK.

Need to figure out hubby's as well, leatherwork, photography and model railroad layout.

Think we need to win the lottery...oh yeah have to play the lottery to do that don't you! LOL
My cabinets were designed to use my sewing machines and were actually in another house first. At time I was not heavy into quilting - just getting started (been sewing since a child but usually fashion, purses or home dec. I already had the quilt desk which the machines are now on. It was a mistake to think I could keep my machines on the countertop (not enough depth). That is why only the laptop (which I use for the software for the embroidery machine, sewing machines and Qbot) and the serger actually sit on the countertops. Because the room has high ceilings I went with 42" uppers to have more storage space. If I had it to do over again, I would eliminate some of the counterspace and go floor to ceiling with cabinets in some of the area (like the pantry cabinets some people have in their kitchens). More storage and less countertops since the countertops are too small for quilts or the large embroidery hoops.

I envy you that your DH has hobbies also - mine does not so I sometimes feel guilty spending so much time in my sewing room. He is a workaholic, tho, and self-employed so he spends a lot of that time just working.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM

Ok, you've confirmed some of what I was planning, namely the floor to ceiling storage areas. I'm also considering making a window seat/storage arrangement under the windows on the outside wall to serve several purposes...seating for anyone else who might come in my craft room, can't ever have too much storage, place for a grandchild to nap while I'm sewing (if I should be so lucky as to get one who naps!)

How deep do you recommend the cabinets being, I know there are several standard sizes? I want them deep enough to be useful, but not so deep that it's a chore to get whatever is hiding in that back corner.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Ok, you've confirmed some of what I was planning, namely the floor to ceiling storage areas. I'm also considering making a window seat/storage arrangement under the windows on the outside wall to serve several purposes...seating for anyone else who might come in my craft room, can't ever have too much storage, place for a grandchild to nap while I'm sewing (if I should be so lucky as to get one who naps!)

How deep do you recommend the cabinets being, I know there are several standard sizes? I want them deep enough to be useful, but not so deep that it's a chore to get whatever is hiding in that back corner.
Mine are actually the same as kitchen cabinets. I would have the upper cabinets be the same depth as the lower cabinets if I eliminated the counterspace. Some counterspace is necessary for the computer but that is all, in my opinion. Window seat sounds like a wonderful idea. I agree that you can never have too much storage space; my sewing room has a small walk-in closet which is full and I have filled all of the cabinets over the wet bar in the gameroom, too. I am thinking of getting some of those boards to wrap my fabric around which I now have in small plastic bins (shoe size) by color. Not a great way to store them - the boards would allow much more fabric on a shelf.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM

What a beautiful room you have!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM

oh wait... I have to wipe the drool from my mouth... Wow!