Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My treadle conversion >

My treadle conversion

My treadle conversion

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Beautiful cabinet. I've often wondered how many of our "modern" machines could be treadled.
If it is a modern machine and mechanical rather than computer driven, the answer is yes. This machine is a 2010 Bernina mechanical #1008. You have to deactivate the electrics and drive system and swap out one of these nice brass handwheels, or you won't be able to do it. I just gutted the whole electrical system and drive motor. That way there is no going back. I have 2 more of them that are awaiting usage in case this one ever gives up the ghost. I had 2 of them set up as treadles, but it didn't make much sense, as they were both exactly the same and I don't have unlimited space to allow that sort of thing. I have all the pieces to do it agin if I ever get more space and want/need another copy of this machine.
John
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Could you provide more info on the brass handwheels?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Very nice set up. What kind of tubing did you use for the belt?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:29 AM

I bet the people at Bernina would love to see this!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
I bet the people at Bernina would love to see this!
They already are aware of this sort of thing. I was talking to my Bernina dealer, who told me the only reason that Bernina still makes this model of mechanical machine is because they sell so many of them to the communities of people without electricity usage, who then convert them one way or another that it is still profitable for them to do so. They sell on average in excess of 25,000 machines of this model per year and have done so for many years. That is their stop production level and if it falls below that mark they will cease production. I have 2 extra machines of varying age that are waiting to replace this one should it ever give up the ghost, or if I would need parts.

John
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 AM

What a great idea!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Could you provide more info on the brass handwheels?
They were made, for a time, by Amish craftsman in Lancaster Penn. area. But they discontinued their production because the cost of the brass stock pushed their price point above that which their local market would bear. They now make the same type of wheel in steel, and paint it white so as to match the color of the Bernina Model 1008 machine you see, in the picture. They are not as lovely as the brass, of course, but they are just as functional. I have one of each of them on the two spare machines I own.
John
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

I have searched the net and just found you in other places. Where did you come up with the brass balance wheel?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Very nice set up. What kind of tubing did you use for the belt?
The tubing is industrial tubing. It is ordered with sized joiner thing's, and is sold by the foot.
McMaster-Carr supply co. is the name of the place. They have an extensive catalogue that you can get lost in.
John
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I have searched the net and just found you in other places. Where did you come up with the brass balance wheel?
It is interesting that you found other postings with the name fixedgearhead. I used it when I belonged to a number of groups that related to bicycling, and I haven't participated in them for years. The name I used was fixedgearhead. because that is the type of bike we all were riding at that time. A fixed gear bike is one with one gear and no freewheel. Every time the rear wheel goes around the pedals go around also, so no Coasting. I guess I should have copyrighted the name fixedgearhead because it seems that a lot of folks have stated using it as their own. I don't really care but it does prove that nothing goes away on the internet.
John