Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My very first quilt 16 + years ago

Today I was cleaning out the closet in the garage. I knew my old top was there and I also wanted to pull out the 'antique' quilt my great great grandma made? I am not sure who or when she made it I know my mom told me years ago but she's no longer around to ask. I guess it will be a mystery now.

my antique quilt - notice the bottom block its not going in the same direction I wonder if the quilter realized it before she was done?
    Name:  Attachment-90308.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  62.5 KB

center block of my 1st quilt
    Name:  Attachment-90344.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  79.6 KB

my first quilt - there was no pattern just playing with sqaure and triangles
    Name:  Attachment-90375.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  66.0 KB

Wow, I hope you are going to finish that top and use it! If not, you can send it to me! You antique quilt is great too...find a way to use it! :D :thumbup:

Love them both! WOW

Blog Entries
    You did a great job on your first quilt. Don't know if I'd dare post mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Wow, I hope you are going to finish that top and use it! If not, you can send it to me! You antique quilt is great too...find a way to use it! :D :thumbup:
    Thank you. My DD Chloe has been giving me hints "like when do I get one" so I think I will add some borders and give it to her. The antique one had been in use until about 5 years ago. It was fraying so I tucked it away. I went to a guild meeting (my first ever) and a woman there said she had pulled out an antique quilt that she had stored in a plastic bag and it smelled so awful that she finally had to wash it. It made me think. Mine wasn't in a bag but in a plastic storage bin - yikes. So, this morning I pulled it out and washed it as gently as I could. It's hanging over the banister rails drying.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Your first quilt, I think I did a mystery quilt with that pattern. Will check.

As far as your antique quilt goes, a lot of quilters made deliberate mistakes on their quilts b/c they felt that only God could be perfect, their quilts didn't have to be.

Blog Entries
    If Ditter43 changes her mind, send it my way!!!!! :lol: Beautiful quilts!!

Very nice!

She may have added that mistake on purpose....would be interesting to know!

Both are very nice. I don't believe the tail of storing clean quilts or anything else in plastic tubs will stink. I think the Lady made it up or they we dirty.

If the tub was exposed to moisture, some of the plastics can let the moisture pass through to the contents. Not sure if it happens at the 'seal' or through the bottom/sides. Have had soy wax flakes mildew in a screwtop/fliptop canister.

Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    Thank you. My DD Chloe has been giving me hints "like when do I get one" so I think I will add some borders and give it to her. The antique one had been in use until about 5 years ago. It was fraying so I tucked it away. I went to a guild meeting (my first ever) and a woman there said she had pulled out an antique quilt that she had stored in a plastic bag and it smelled so awful that she finally had to wash it. It made me think. Mine wasn't in a bag but in a plastic storage bin - yikes. So, this morning I pulled it out and washed it as gently as I could. It's hanging over the banister rails drying.
    Plastic containers do have odors about them. I store a lot of my fabric crafts between craft shows and have to make sure the lids are not on tight so air circulation can occur or when I open them up the fabric stinks. These are totally clean containers and totally clean fabrics. The smell comes from the plastic.

Very nice. Get those finished!!!!

WOW! Your first quilt and no pattern? Finish it - it's great. So is the antique one.

Blog Entries
    For a firstie, its terrific. Please finish it and treasure it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidmona
    As far as your antique quilt goes, a lot of quilters made deliberate mistakes on their quilts b/c they felt that only God could be perfect, their quilts didn't have to be.
    I've heard that but I guess my view is I make mistakes, another quilter would see them others may miss them so I try not to make an obvious mistake just to prove I am not perfect LOL

Both are very nice. Maybe the sideways block was her signature style?

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Both are very nice. Maybe the sideways block was her signature style?
    Could be its the only quilt I have. I would love to have known her and more about her quilts. But my mom was an only child so I have no way of knowing any more than she was a relative...:-(

Both are lovely...you should finish your first, it's just crying out "liberate me from the closet in the garage" "I need to be on someone's bed"...The antique one is gorgeous too. The turned block really adds character.

Your first quilt is very pretty and should be finished to be used!! Your antique quilt is Outstanding, what an Heirloom quilt to have, treasure it!

Beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Wasn't that called a humility block? or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Both are lovely...you should finish your first, it's just crying out "liberate me from the closet in the garage" "I need to be on someone's bed"...The antique one is gorgeous too. The turned block really adds character.
    I am going to finish the other quilt and let my 16 yr old have it she's been hinting that I should make a quilt for someone besides myself LOL.
    It's funny but on the antique quilt I had NEVER noticed it before - until I took a picture of it then it jumped out at me. I have loved that quilt since I was a teenager and it's was on my bed for a long time...