Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My very first quilt 16 + years ago (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-very-first-quilt-16-years-ago-t57473.html)

kristen0112 08-02-2010 09:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Today I was cleaning out the closet in the garage. I knew my old top was there and I also wanted to pull out the 'antique' quilt my great great grandma made? I am not sure who or when she made it I know my mom told me years ago but she's no longer around to ask. I guess it will be a mystery now.

my antique quilt - notice the bottom block its not going in the same direction I wonder if the quilter realized it before she was done?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90313[/ATTACH]

center block of my 1st quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90349[/ATTACH]

my first quilt - there was no pattern just playing with sqaure and triangles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90380[/ATTACH]

Ditter43 08-02-2010 09:19 AM

Wow, I hope you are going to finish that top and use it! If not, you can send it to me! You antique quilt is great too...find a way to use it! :D :thumbup:

franie 08-02-2010 09:22 AM

Love them both! WOW

quiltsRfun 08-02-2010 09:25 AM

You did a great job on your first quilt. Don't know if I'd dare post mine.

kristen0112 08-02-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Wow, I hope you are going to finish that top and use it! If not, you can send it to me! You antique quilt is great too...find a way to use it! :D :thumbup:

Thank you. My DD Chloe has been giving me hints "like when do I get one" so I think I will add some borders and give it to her. The antique one had been in use until about 5 years ago. It was fraying so I tucked it away. I went to a guild meeting (my first ever) and a woman there said she had pulled out an antique quilt that she had stored in a plastic bag and it smelled so awful that she finally had to wash it. It made me think. Mine wasn't in a bag but in a plastic storage bin - yikes. So, this morning I pulled it out and washed it as gently as I could. It's hanging over the banister rails drying.

pvquilter 08-02-2010 10:19 AM

Your first quilt, I think I did a mystery quilt with that pattern. Will check.

sidmona 08-02-2010 11:44 AM

As far as your antique quilt goes, a lot of quilters made deliberate mistakes on their quilts b/c they felt that only God could be perfect, their quilts didn't have to be.

pab58 08-02-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43

If Ditter43 changes her mind, send it my way!!!!! :lol: Beautiful quilts!!

KellyPA 08-02-2010 12:26 PM

Very nice!

She may have added that mistake on purpose....would be interesting to know!

Jingle 08-02-2010 12:37 PM

Both are very nice. I don't believe the tail of storing clean quilts or anything else in plastic tubs will stink. I think the Lady made it up or they we dirty.