Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My very first quilt 16 + years ago (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-very-first-quilt-16-years-ago-t57473.html)

mom-6 08-02-2010 12:59 PM

If the tub was exposed to moisture, some of the plastics can let the moisture pass through to the contents. Not sure if it happens at the 'seal' or through the bottom/sides. Have had soy wax flakes mildew in a screwtop/fliptop canister.

nannya54 08-02-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Wow, I hope you are going to finish that top and use it! If not, you can send it to me! You antique quilt is great too...find a way to use it! :D :thumbup:

Thank you. My DD Chloe has been giving me hints "like when do I get one" so I think I will add some borders and give it to her. The antique one had been in use until about 5 years ago. It was fraying so I tucked it away. I went to a guild meeting (my first ever) and a woman there said she had pulled out an antique quilt that she had stored in a plastic bag and it smelled so awful that she finally had to wash it. It made me think. Mine wasn't in a bag but in a plastic storage bin - yikes. So, this morning I pulled it out and washed it as gently as I could. It's hanging over the banister rails drying.

Plastic containers do have odors about them. I store a lot of my fabric crafts between craft shows and have to make sure the lids are not on tight so air circulation can occur or when I open them up the fabric stinks. These are totally clean containers and totally clean fabrics. The smell comes from the plastic.

Jim's Gem 08-02-2010 01:52 PM

Very nice. Get those finished!!!!

redquilter 08-02-2010 04:21 PM

WOW! Your first quilt and no pattern? Finish it - it's great. So is the antique one.

hobo2000 08-02-2010 04:25 PM

For a firstie, its terrific. Please finish it and treasure it.

kristen0112 08-02-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
As far as your antique quilt goes, a lot of quilters made deliberate mistakes on their quilts b/c they felt that only God could be perfect, their quilts didn't have to be.

I've heard that but I guess my view is I make mistakes, another quilter would see them others may miss them so I try not to make an obvious mistake just to prove I am not perfect LOL

sewnsewer2 08-02-2010 05:34 PM

Both are very nice. Maybe the sideways block was her signature style?

kristen0112 08-02-2010 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Both are very nice. Maybe the sideways block was her signature style?

Could be its the only quilt I have. I would love to have known her and more about her quilts. But my mom was an only child so I have no way of knowing any more than she was a relative...:-(

earthwalker 08-02-2010 06:02 PM

Both are lovely...you should finish your first, it's just crying out "liberate me from the closet in the garage" "I need to be on someone's bed"...The antique one is gorgeous too. The turned block really adds character.

dkabasketlady 08-02-2010 08:16 PM

Your first quilt is very pretty and should be finished to be used!! Your antique quilt is Outstanding, what an Heirloom quilt to have, treasure it!