Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Yard Sale Find

Awww. So sad. I am glad you have it though. He probably would have sent it to a thrift store and God knows where it owuld have ended up. Such a gorgeous quilt!
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Some people just have no idea. Maybe there should be rescue leagues for unwanted quilts! Think of all the wonderful, loving homes unwanted animals get adopted into.

Obviously, this quilt just took on a new life when you took it home. I'm guessing his Mom would be hurt by him selling it and only for a mere $20, but the fact that you took it home to appreciate it would please her.

Blog Entries
    Great score!!!!Love the quilt-if you have someone from the documentation project with the University of Michigan nearby they can date the fabric for you

Why on earth would you ever part with something like that? I would never part with any quilt that was made for me, but especially not if it was made by my mother!
    Linda L Rucker

I agree it is a beauty....love the fabrics. I guess no one knows the full story, but a quilt found a loving home, which is the main thing. Who knows where a quilt will end up down the track.....long as it's used and loved is all I wish for any of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by xsquilter View Post
    What a fabulous find for you & wonderful that the quilt is re-loved again!
    Maureen
    Exactly! This fabulous quilt deserves someone who will love & respect it. If you don't like it tied, you could untie it & quilt it. I did that to an old quilt I happened upon.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    So sad he did not want the quilt his mother made him, but lucky for you. The quilt is lovely.
    Quite agree,how could you sell it.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Small price for a great quilt.

Lucky you, but sad for his mother. Thanks for posting.

How sad! I hope the mother does not know how ungrateful her son is. I am glad you have given this quilt a happy new place.

At least the quilt is going to someone who appreciates it..And isn't that what we all want in the end?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy'smom View Post
    I got this quilt today from a yard sale. it's an 88 by 105 and although it's just blocks sewen together and tied it's just stunning. The guy at the yard sale said his mother made it for him and he sold it for 20.00?? Unreal.
    My sil gave me one that her sister gave her it is a sort of a postage stamp.It has a total of 1754 little squares I think it is a queen I have not yet quilted it.Who ever did it they did it by hand also.The pieces are about 1 1/2 in squares.I thought postage stamps are smaller but any way to give a precious top away that some one worked very hard at.People just don't don't appreciate the art of quilts or quilting like they used to.Their loss is my gratefull gain.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I know it will be even more cherished by you! Especially since it only cost $20

Blog Entries
    Oh that is really pretty but it makes my heart sad to know that he was willing to sale something his mother put her love in to make for him.
    Deb in Texas

Beautiful quilt! I believe I would come back and haunt my kids if they got rid of the quilts I made for them. ha ha!!
    Pam Riggs

Blog Entries
    so sad. You could have it appraised then show the man the appraisal to let him know what he basically "threw away". I know you wouldn't do this but it's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this.

at least you saved a very pretty quilt.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Banned
    Blog Entries
    not everyone HAS to love quilts..even if mom or grandma made it...trust me, it is OK....enjoy it, but do NOT judge others on their likes/dislikes...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
    so sad. You could have it appraised then show the man the appraisal to let him know what he basically "threw away". I know you wouldn't do this but it's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this.

at least you saved a very pretty quilt.
    he SOLD a $20 quilt..that is about all it is worth! I would have only paid $10! and how do you know he does not own her really GOOD quilts and chose to sell this everyday, back of the car utility quilt because he did not need another quilt?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfosa421 View Post
    Great score!!!!Love the quilt-if you have someone from the documentation project with the University of Michigan nearby they can date the fabric for you
    it is from the 70's maybe 80's if she used scraps. mostly garment poly/cotton blends and tied. probably has poly batting in it.
    This is a utility quilt, nothing state fair or museum quality. He sold it for more than it is really worth in today's market. and the buyer bought it for just what it needs to be used for..something for the grand kids to USE up!

I have seen better quilts end up in dogs bed...some people just are not quilt people..just like I am not a Fleece anything person...it is OK to be different..hehehe

I really don't think you need to be so rude, I don't really give a dam what it's made of, or what it looks like, I'm not judging him at all, maybe you are. I wasn't looking for museum quality, and sure didn't plan on putting it there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    it is from the 70's maybe 80's if she used scraps. mostly garment poly/cotton blends and tied. probably has poly batting in it.
    This is a utility quilt, nothing state fair or museum quality. He sold it for more than it is really worth in today's market. and the buyer bought it for just what it needs to be used for..something for the grand kids to USE up!

I have seen better quilts end up in dogs bed...some people just are not quilt people..just like I am not a Fleece anything person...it is OK to be different..hehehe
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Beautiful, lots of ungrateful people in this world. His loss is your gain. Now it will be appreciated.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

In this economy perhaps he needed the money. Although if he knew more he would sell it for more. His loss your gain.
    A few years ago I made my son a pullover polar fleece jacket. Someone broke into his car and stole it and $500 worth of tools. What he was the angriest about was the jacket. He said if he ever saw someone with his jacket he wanted to beat them up. I made him another jacket. However, it was in different colors. I'm glad my kids appreciate the things I make for them. They all love the quilts I have given them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy'smom View Post
    I really don't think you need to be so rude, I don't really give a dam what it's made of, or what it looks like, I'm not judging him at all, maybe you are. I wasn't looking for museum quality, and sure didn't plan on putting it there.

If you are going to "quote" me, then use the whole quote...my response was NOT to you..but to the person suggesting it be appraised... I stated that YOU the buyer bought it for just what it was to be..a great utility quilt for the grands!

i cant believe he got rid of it for any reason... oh well his loss and certainly your gain.. it is really Nice....

That is a beautiful quilt. I would not have given it away, lucky you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast