Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Yo-Yo Quilt >

My Yo-Yo Quilt

My Yo-Yo Quilt

Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Gail, I turn under about 1/4 in. and do the gathering stitch at 1/8 in. Don't get your stitches too close together or the centers won't be closed enough. The longer stitch with produce bigger fold in the fabric. I don't know if that make sense or not.
Don't think I mentioned that I use Coats and Clark Hand quilting thread and pull it through the needle til the ends meet too knot it. with double strand of quilting thread the is almost no breaking the thread when you are pulling the thread to form the yo-yo. Pull the thread very tight and take a few tiny stitches one on top of the other, then you can knot the thread and pull it inside the yo-yo and get the needle back on front and clip the thread.

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I am so happy you posted the close-ups of the yo-yos! It's a gorgeous masterpiece! But what I appreciate most is that I have learned what I have been doing wrong. I am self-taught and somehow I missed something. I have always had a problem ending the yoyo. I have been trying to close the circle in the center. I see that you have a nice little circle left open. So, it's back to the drawing board for me.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM

This is a very spectacular quilt! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM

Thanks Barb, I can't find "view" any where on the menu. I tried ctrl/scroll wheel and it distorts it. Maybe "view" is IE option? I use Chrome.

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
The shape of the yo-yos is round, then to get them stitch together I had to take a few whip stitches on four sides. That distorts the roundness a little bit.
I can't post a larger picture right now, but you when you are on the page with the pictures you can click on View in the menu bar at the top of the window and the pick a larger size to display the page. I think the images will be sharp even if you select to zoom it to 400%. you can get a little more detail of the fabrics that way also.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
Thanks Barb, I can't find "view" any where on the menu. I tried ctrl/scroll wheel and it distorts it. Maybe "view" is IE option? I use Chrome.
See if this works.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509460[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc07581croped-large-.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Too close! LOL, I'm just kidding. Thanks for the closeup of how the yo yos are done. It's a pretty, colorful quilt. I bet there are a lot of hours involved! I'm trying to find new "hand worked" hobby for hubby and he might like to make yo-yos by hand.

He usually knits hats and scarves on a loom for the homeless but his arthritic thumbs having a hard time holding the big circular loom.

I'm thinking maybe a yo-yo maker? I saw that pretty quilt yesterday where yo-yos are the top of the tree -- so cute!

See if this works.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Very good job, but lots of yoyo's.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM

That is so pretty! I keep mine on our guest bed.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Gail, I turn under about 1/4 in. and do the gathering stitch at 1/8 in. Don't get your stitches too close together or the centers won't be closed enough. The longer stitch with produce bigger fold in the fabric. I don't know if that make sense or not.
Don't think I mentioned that I use Coats and Clark Hand quilting thread and pull it through the needle til the ends meet too knot it. with double strand of quilting thread the is almost no breaking the thread when you are pulling the thread to form the yo-yo. Pull the thread very tight and take a few tiny stitches one on top of the other, then you can knot the thread and pull it inside the yo-yo and get the needle back on front and clip the thread.
Thanks, Barb. I use one of the yoyo gadgets and find the gathers are nice. Only thing is I was doing an overkill on closing the center. I thought it had to be closed. Thanks for the detailed info. I, too, use hand quilting thread.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 PM

Thanks for posting the additional photos. I had never heard of or seen any yo-yos before!! Very nice!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 PM

You're welcome Jeanne.
Technically these aren't "quilts" as they do not have batting and backing. The definition of Quilt is a sandwich consisting of a front batting and a back, stitch to through the layer to hold it together. Yo-yos normally can't be entered in quilt show for that reason.
The year I entered my yo-yo one in the local quilt show, I happened to be the main one organizing the show. I created a new category for none traditional quilts. Now our show also accepts quilt tops and partially finished quilts.

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Thanks for posting the additional photos. I had never heard of or seen any yo-yos before!! Very nice!!!