Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need Advice From Any of You Who Quilt for Pay... >

Need Advice From Any of You Who Quilt for Pay...

Need Advice From Any of You Who Quilt for Pay...

Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Three years ago last October, my cousin's wife asked me to make his 'n' hers lap quilts for her and her husband (for Christmas that year). This past December 23, I finally finished both quilts and mailed them to her. She loves them & wants to know what she owes me for labor (she already paid me for the supplies up front). She told me to "keep track of the time" I put into the quilts--and charge her accordingly.

In the beginning, my machine broke down & had to be put into the shop for months at a time. After I embroidered the borders, I discovered the bobbin stitching on the back looked slightly loose. I spent hours tearing that out--only to find it looked the same when I re-quilted it.

What I'm trying to say is, because I have so little experience--and I rarely ever have time to sew--every time I abandon everything else for quilting or sewing, I have to re-learn how to use my machine and my embroidery software all over again--so lots and lots of time is involved. There is absolutely NO WAY I can charge her for all of the time I put into it.

All of the quilts I made up to these two were given as gifts--so this is the first time I've made a quilt for pay.

Would any of you be willing to look at the photos (below) and let me know what you think I should charge for the labor on these two quilts? I would really appreciate your input! :D

Lisa

"Acorn Hollow" Lap Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153595[/ATTACH]

"Serendipity" Lap Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153590.jpe   attachment-153591.jpe  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Those are beautiful! I have no idea on pricing though, sorry...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM

Thank you very much, Mom-6! :)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM

When I started out I charged the same amount as the materials cost. Since I am a thrifty shopper, I never made any money. But I got a lot of experience, made some repeat customers, and eventually I started charging more as my skill improved, and they were happy to pay it.

Since it's family....hummmmm, I would maybe ask her to give you a gift card to a fabric shop or something like that, and leave the amount up to her.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
When I started out I charged the same amount as the materials cost. Since I am a thrifty shopper, I never made any money. But I got a lot of experience, made some repeat customers, and eventually I started charging more as my skill improved, and they were happy to pay it.

Since it's family....hummmmm, I would maybe ask her to give you a gift card to a fabric shop or something like that, and leave the amount up to her.
Thank you for your input! :)

I asked her for $100 for the materials, but she sent me a check for $125 (she's a very nice lady--and patient, lol). Would asking her for $100 or $125 be too much?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Its always hard to set a price for a relative. Awkward. Most folks have NO IDEA what quilts cost. The cost of materials should be her clue as to how much to give you. When someone gives me a ride, I never ask, do I owe you money for gas? I throw 5 or 10 bucks on the seat and say Thank You, or I buy them lunch.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Its always hard to set a price for a relative. Awkward. Most folks have NO IDEA what quilts cost. The cost of materials should be her clue as to how much to give you. When someone gives me a ride, I never ask, do I owe you money for gas? I throw 5 or 10 bucks on the seat and say Thank You, or I buy them lunch.
Thank you, Pat! Because of my perfectionism, I always under-value everything I make, anyway. I want to tell her the labor is "on me," but I know she'll insist on paying me something. I made quilts as gifts for three of her grandsons before these two. She liked them & said she really wanted to have something made by me--and said she didn't care how long it took me to finish them. Yes, it is awkward!

:-D
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 PM

fabric giftcard
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 AM

I agree. Charging family is tough. When I made swedish weaving type afghans for all of the ladies in my family, I gave them as gifts. One DSIL asked me if she could give me anything for hers. I was at first taken aback by her question since I offered to make the afghans. Then I quickly said sure - a hug. She was happy and said she had lots of those. My DMIL attempted to pay me so I could by more fabric and yarn. I insisted it was a gift. And so it went with some of my ladies. My neice makes jewelry and made me a watch. One DSIL crocheted and made me an afghan. So anyway, I agree that a gift card to a fabric shop would be nice and maybe in the future set a price ahead of time. Even if only to set a dollar number per hour besides the cost of materials.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by jemma
fabric giftcard
Yes I agree to the gift card to the fabric store , you can use it to buy more fabric or anything else you may want or need..