Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Ok I had posted this top but of course cannot find the post now....but what I need is an idea of how to hand quilt this top....Any ideas? What would you do? I thought of just quilting in the big sq and the side tan(print) pieces... I was thinking a grid in each large sq...I want it to hold and be strong but again I don't want to spend the rest of my life quilting it either....but I want it to look nice. Am I asking for to much? Gosh I just don't know what ...any design ideas? Anything to help me. I have drawn a blank. Thanks for your imput.

Donna
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is elegant. I have no idea about the quilting. I'm still treading water and learning. good luck

Blessings,
    Ruth

I am new to quilting and I would be afraid to advise you. I would probably send it to one of the quilters on here if it was mine.

I would look at some circular patterns maybe in continuous line, something on the simple side for the large blocks and do some simple lines in the rest. It would go faster that way.

I would stitch in the ditch around the white stars to enhance them maybe. No clue as to the center blocks.

Kyia

I'm not very good at Free motion quilting. I'd probably have to send it out too but I'd like some sort of feather or circular flower pattern in the middle of each block.

Blog Entries
    With a quilt that has a lot of straight lines, I would also do some kind of circular or feather design in the large squares. SID or something similiar would be great in the stars.

simple and open ---the quilt is [i am going to pinch mrspetes-word -it fits] elegant pick up the stars maybe but dont over do the block centers

Quote Originally Posted by Donna P
    Ok I had posted this top but of course cannot find the post now....but what I need is an idea of how to hand quilt this top....Any ideas? What would you do? I thought of just quilting in the big sq and the side tan(print) pieces... I was thinking a grid in each large sq...I want it to hold and be strong but again I don't want to spend the rest of my life quilting it either....but I want it to look nice. Am I asking for to much? Gosh I just don't know what ...any design ideas? Anything to help me. I have drawn a blank. Thanks for your imput.

Donna
    When you quilt the large square, how about making an outline of the connecting stars and stitch that in the centers. Keep the same size and orientation.

It's a beautiful quilt The colors are so restful.

I just love your quilt it is very ( I'll take the words also from MsPete.Ruth) Beautifully done.

Donna
    I've just started hand quilting my first queen size and found some really nice stencil type motifs to use...have you ever considered using something like that? Even found one for the sashings. My blocks are smaller but I have seen some really large ones in the stores that could be a possibility. I'll see if I can post a front and back view just to give you an idea of what can be done with them. BTW, I LOVE your quilt! Beautiful!

PS...I know the feeling about worrying that this is going to take the rest of my life to do this! Oh well...it keeps me out of too much trouble this way...lol! ;-)

This is the front
    Name:  Attachment-136946.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  40.4 KB

This is the back
    Name:  Attachment-136947.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  29.0 KB

Blog Entries
    In the large blocks, how about a large circle feather, like a wreath, outline the star, and grid or feather the tan parts. Just an idea.

If you want to go look at your original post click on "my topics" at the top of the page. You can easily find your original post there, and perhaps some comments people made there can help you.
    Your quilt is just beautiful. I agree with Karenm36's post above, using motifs would be beautiful, and to me are a bit more fun hand quilting than just straight lines. I think you would like the result. You could do a Motif in the large blocks, and a thin motif in the sashings, or keep the sashing more simple with straight lines 1/4 inch in.

Power Poster
    Love the quilt!

Donna, that is a very elegant quilt and will be beautiful. I think a nice medallion in the large squares and center of the stars, then perhaps just an outline along the sashing strips and quilt in the ditch around the outside of the stars.

Karen, love your quilt! it is as lovely on the back as it is on the front. Good job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karenm36

Donna
    I've just started hand quilting my first queen size and found some really nice stencil type motifs to use...have you ever considered using something like that? Even found one for the sashings. My blocks are smaller but I have seen some really large ones in the stores that could be a possibility. I'll see if I can post a front and back view just to give you an idea of what can be done with them. BTW, I LOVE your quilt! Beautiful!

PS...I know the feeling about worrying that this is going to take the rest of my life to do this! Oh well...it keeps me out of too much trouble this way...lol! ;-)
    Donna had the same idea I had, using the braid type for the sashing, and something simple like a flower or hearts in the big blocks. Your quilt is beautiful!! BTW Donna, yours is too!!

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    Donna, that is a very elegant quilt and will be beautiful. I think a nice medallion in the large squares and center of the stars, then perhaps just an outline along the sashing strips and quilt in the ditch around the outside of the stars.

Karen, love your quilt! it is as lovely on the back as it is on the front. Good job.
    Thank you so much. Kind of nerve wracking at first having never done this before...but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Thing is...I keep interrupting my work on it for other smaller projects that need to get done by Christmas...that's slowing me down!

:wink:

DJ
    Your quilt is just beautiful. I don't have any suggestions for hand quilting it. I'm working on hand quilting a king size quilt. It won't really take forever if you stick to it regularly. I try to quilt for a couple hours in the evening while watching TV. Don't get to it every evening, but I'm making progress, slow but sure.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Quote Originally Posted by karenm36

Donna

Donna had the same idea I had, using the braid type for the sashing, and something simple like a flower or hearts in the big blocks. Your quilt is beautiful!! BTW Donna, yours is too!!

This was what I was thinking too simple but elegant.

Hi, I would do a lengthy design in the tan strips and then make a template of the star design that would fit in the flowered squares and sew that in. I would stitch in the ditch on the white stars.

If you want an idea, go to this site: quiltingstencils.com . they have a great resource.

I was taught early on or told by some one smarter than me anyway, that if a quilt pattern is very angular such as this one, then to soften it, use a curved pattern to quilt it. There are lots of patterns out there that are the older patterns which are not real fancy but do the job well. Cable comes to mind for the sashing, and maybe a flower in the center if the square. Jan

Ladies, this has been such a rewarding class. I do thank you. Blessings, Ruth

Blog Entries
    U looking 4 many things here is your first post:-P :-P
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78716-1.htm

Regarding quilting: ladies more professional would help u ;-)

Beautiful!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast