Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some ideas

Need some ideas

I have had this quilt sandwiched and all ready to be hand quilted since October 2013. I started to hand quilt it twice but ended up ripping the stitches out. I tried diagonal and in the ditch but didn't like what I saw.

Have you ladies and gentleman out there any ideas? I am hand quilting and intend to use metallic embroidery floss. It has wool batting and i am conscious that the constant ripping out of threads is not a good thing. Would appreciate any ideas. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Blog Entries
    very pretty, love the borders!!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas. The quilt is beautiful.

What about a small leaf-like design in each square going from corner to corner and pointing in the direction of the Bargello waves. Kind go like this but a double curve instead of straight lines

\ / / / \ \ \ /

It's hard to draw using a keyboard but maybe you get the idea.

Blog Entries
    Well, I've seen those quilted with stitches going from corner up to corner and down again the other side. like the burgundy fabric, follow that. then the blue and so on. Makes a nice movement of the pattern and simple to do. Look up Images of this pattern to see some. I've yet to make this pattern myself but it's on my list.

Beautiful, great colors. I like the borders.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Metallic emb floss...how durable is that?

How about quilting feathers that will follow the Bargello pattern up & down? Maybe SITD in the pieced & orange borders. Then more feathers in the black border. Whatever you do, it sure is pretty!

don't have any ideas, but it is gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    How about opposing feathers? Large ones that get smaller towards the top of the lightest color? and then opposite direction, but the same feather?
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

Beautiful!

Thank you for all your lovely compliments and suggestions. It is really appreciated. Glad you like the quilt.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Awesome quilt! Since so many straight lines, maybe something circular?
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I would keep it simple and just quilt in each square so I wouldn't have to try to quilt the seams. Maybe two straight lines in each square except for the blue and yellow and let that pop those two colors. I might stitch inside each square in a square but I don't know how big those squares are.

Quote Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
    I would keep it simple and just quilt in each square so I wouldn't have to try to quilt the seams. Maybe two straight lines in each square except for the blue and yellow and let that pop those two colors. I might stitch inside each square in a square but I don't know how big those squares are.
    The largest piece measures, 5.5cm by 6cm, 4.5cm by 6cm, 3.5cm by 6cm, 2.5 by 6cm and 0.8cm by 6cm

Pieces in the borders(orange borders) are all 3.5cm by 6cm, (black borders)4.5cm by 6cm

As there are so many pieces, I am trying to find a simple yet pleasing quilting pattern. I just want to get this monster finished before September in time for my son's birthday. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
    What about a small leaf-like design in each square going from corner to corner and pointing in the direction of the Bargello waves. Kind go like this but a double curve instead of straight lines

\ / / / \ \ \ /

It's hard to draw using a keyboard but maybe you get the idea.

That's something I had not considered. There are quite a number of pieces to quilt into but a good idea, thank you.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Well, I've seen those quilted with stitches going from corner up to corner and down again the other side. like the burgundy fabric, follow that. then the blue and so on. Makes a nice movement of the pattern and simple to do. Look up Images of this pattern to see some. I've yet to make this pattern myself but it's on my list.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried looking up the images of the pattern and there are loads but very little detailing quilting post sewing the top. I like your suggestions and the others as well. i am thinking maybe I can include a little of everyone's suggestion as the quilt will allow this in the various borders etc. I am still thinking!
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
    How about quilting feathers that will follow the Bargello pattern up & down? Maybe SITD in the pieced & orange borders. Then more feathers in the black border. Whatever you do, it sure is pretty!
    Thank you. I would like to include feathers and hadn't thought of that as an option before. I think that I could get that in the black border as that is wide enough! Yippee!! I hope my quilting skills are up to par! LOL Quick learning curve here! I have never attempted feathers before. Always a first time for everything, seeing that this is my first Bargello that I made without a pattern.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Metallic emb floss...how durable is that?
    I have used embroidery threads since I started quilt making in 2001 and have never had any trouble. The embroidery floss is 6 strands thick and as durable as quilting thread and I always wax the threads to protect them when I am quilting. They are also thicker than the metallic threads for machine quilting. So, for me the threads work fine and are easily accessible.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs View Post
    How about opposing feathers? Large ones that get smaller towards the top of the lightest color? and then opposite direction, but the same feather?
    Yes, I think that I will try some feathers in the black borders. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gabeway View Post
    Awesome quilt! Since so many straight lines, maybe something circular?
    That's another great idea...Thank you.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As beautiful as this is and with you doing this without a pattern I am sure that whatever you come up with will be super. You have a lot of talent and this will be stunning when you are finished. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
    As beautiful as this is and with you doing this without a pattern I am sure that whatever you come up with will be super. You have a lot of talent and this will be stunning when you are finished. BrendaK
    Awwww...thank you. That is so sweet of you to say. I will try to be as creative as possible. I have a few ideas thanks to the suggestions here. Hopefully the old brain will start moving forwards soon!
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I agree with this suggestion. Crosshatching is one of the two methods of quilting I can do. I sitd and ch, that's it. It's not as great as more advanced quilting but it works....and I think it would be effective on this quilt. BTW, it's a beautiful quilt.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I think that the squares invite something flowing like leaves and vines. I am working on one right now and it is coming up really cute.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast