Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need some restoration help please... >

Need some restoration help please...

Need some restoration help please...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM

It is a lovely quilt. And I would go ahead and replace the binding. Take it to a Quilt Shop and see if they can help you, it wouldn't be terrible if you left on the original binding, but I think I would try and remove it very carefully. As for framing it, for me I like to touch quilts, so would get a special box for it (one of those acid free boxes) and keep it safe. Then when the first grand child is born, bring the baby home in the quilt and all grand babies after that. And keep in the box a history of the quilt with a list of all the babies that were wrapped in it.

My mom was upset with my sister when she used the quilts we made for her first born. I had embroidered a Winnie the Pooh quilt and his paternal grandmother had made a wonderful applique quilt for him, not sure who else made them. But she needed to use them - as my maternal Grandmother said one time, what are we saving things for? We are saving them for good? The who's gooder than we are? I have always made quilts to be used. If they are used, it means they are loved. Wanting to hand it down is a nice idea, but I'm afraid if you put it is a frame, this may not be something the next generation wants to look at and is likely to give it away. But if there is a tradition to go with it, they are more likely to keep it.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

I would do as the others have suggested but I would carry one step further; I would come as close as possible to make a reproduction of it. My favorite quilt from my childhood is no longer usable. I have made a reproduction of it and am hand quilting it now. The new one I can use and cuddle in as I did the one of my childhood. Happy memories.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM

No help in restoration but the quilt is beautiful
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM

I am hesitant about framing it under glass. I was always told that framing needlework under glass will make it rot...of course, I don't know how long that would take but you already have an old quilt so I would do some research on framing or maybe others on the board know more about framing quilts. I would put a binding on it and hang it somewhere....it's a treasure!!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 AM

I have a quilt my great-great grandmother made. I was made from scraps and the binding was almost gone. Also some of the fabric is showing its age. I am one who uses my quilts and pretties. Why not enjoy them. I rebinded the quilt with new binding (at the time you could get some really nice dbl fold binding in many colors and fabric styles). I sewed it all by hand afraid my machine would do damage.LOL Anyway I still use it on the bed and it is holding up well. Good luck in what ever you decide....Me....I'd rebind and use gently.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM

If you want to share it...with children and or grandchildren you could take it apart and use sections of it as the centerpiece of other quilts. My sister made an obi (Japanese dress) quilt and the fabric was over 100 years old. By the time we got a lovely backing and it was gently quilted the fragile fabric was much stronger! She will be able to use it on her bed!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM

Don't forget to write your story on a label. Name the person who made it and approximately when. A true treasure!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
I love the idea of framing your little quilt - it pays homage to the quilter, and is a piece of your family history. That way its protected and will be enjoyed for future generations. It would be a nice touch if you had a family history or tree to attach to the back to pass on, too, along with a short explanation as to who made it, and the details you know about your family.
I think this is a great idea. Sew glad it was saved. Part of your history. Now it can be part of your children's history. Priceless. BrendaK
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM

I couldn't tell from the photograph exactly what shape the fabric is in. Binding is the first to go. I would take it to a local guild and ask for their input along with speaking to all quilt shops in your area. Listen to all their advise and not just one person. You've got a lot of good suggestions from this board so it's the starting place. Good luck with your decision and please post pictures of your final decision. This is a very special quilt.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 PM

PLEASE DON'T PUT IT UNDER GLASS! Glass is acid. It will eat it up. You can ask a conservator and they will tell you the same thing. Very acidic. Put a new binding on it and put your information on a label and put it on a rack to look at and let everyone see. It's wonderful.