Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Needle Marking >

Needle Marking

Needle Marking

Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 AM

I have a question, you said this works well on light fabrics. How do you mark your dark fabrics? I didn't take the time to read all 8 pages of this post, but thought you might add to it. I am also a hand quilter, but we can always get new tips that work for us.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 AM

Your quilting is beautiful....such perfect stitches.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by KayT
I have a question, you said this works well on light fabrics. How do you mark your dark fabrics? I didn't take the time to read all 8 pages of this post, but thought you might add to it. I am also a hand quilter, but we can always get new tips that work for us.
Thanks for sharing.
I mark dark fabrics with watercolor pencil. The are available in many different colors and I use one a few shades lighter than the fabric. The pencils have to be sharpened quite often but it helps to put them in the freezer a few hours before using.
Most of the markings rub off during the quilting, when there is something left it will go after the first washing. It's best to test the pencils on your fabric first, so you can see how easy the markings go.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:17 AM

Thank you for sharing,my friend Ann and l are great fans of yours we have just received patterns from America and over the next week we hope to start our marking wow l have so many new idea's to tell her from this chat it is soooo exciting
A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHARING
Regards Elsie Blight
Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
Thank you for sharing,my friend Ann and l are great fans of yours we have just received patterns from America and over the next week we hope to start our marking wow l have so many new idea's to tell her from this chat it is soooo exciting
A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHARING
Regards Elsie Blight
You are so welcome, Elsie! Happy quilting!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 AM

I've done this before too, it works great, and I love using this technique instead of other marking tools because it's so much faster and you don't have to wash out the marker.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
I've done this before too, it works great, and I love using this technique instead of other marking tools because it's so much faster and you don't have to wash out the marker.
That's exactly why I use this method! It just works great for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 AM

Your work is undescribable!! Just awesome!! Wish I lived near you so you could show me how you do such perfectly spaced little stitches?? Thanks so much for posting! :thumbup:
Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
Andrea,

A few people have hinted at it, but I want to add my voice and strongly encourage you to make a video tutorial and post it to YouTube.

IF you are not comfortable with spoken English, you could conduct the video in your native language; as long as the video close-ups are clear, most people should be able to understand. I have been able to follow video tutorials in Russian!

Seriously, you have a talent and experience that should be shared more broadly. I hope you will consider doing this.

Respectfully, and in awe,

Jillaine Smith
Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Hear! Hear!! I most heartily agree.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Thank you so much! This has been such a big help and very educational. Your work is awesome and I know it has to be personally rewarding for you. It sure is a blessing for the rest of us.
GrandPa