Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Needle Marking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafank
    So do you just poke holes along the design with the needle?
    No, I don't poke holes - I just mark indentations by holding the needle point in a small angle towards the quilt top. There is no danger to damage the fabric when you hold the needle flat.
    Thanks----appreciate learning something new.

Your handquilting is super, and I like this needle marking method and hope to try it too.

What kind of batting do you use? Your stiches are so beautiful. I love hand quilting. To me it is also relaxing. I am just getting back into it for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for the info about transfering the markings with the needle. It looks like a yarn needle. I have always been afraid to use anything to mark a quilt so I have been using a lot of masking tape and doing mostly straight lines. I have a quilt where I want to do some echo quilting so this might just work.

such beautiful work-I can't show my stitches that close-I.m envious!! :lol:

Andrea.... you really are an artist who works with thread and fabric... your work is amazing.

hugs

What a great idea. I am going to use it in a few weeks when I get my top finished

Blog Entries
    [quote

I am in the lucky situtation to stay at home and to quilt, quilt, quilt the whole day. My dear husband is so supportive to me and he loves what I do. All my time I can spend in hand quilting, in praciting and, of course, in doing traditional wholecloths. I don't piece, I don't have to cut, press and sew. You see my situation is different to most of us quilters!

I am a hand quilter but I have never done a whole cloth. I quilt pieced quilts and blank squares that are alternated in some patterns like the Irish Chain but my fingers get sore. How do you avoid this. Sometimes I bleed on my fabric.

Blog Entries
    Your work is amazing...I try to hand quilt occasionally but not enough to really get better.am anxious to hear what batting you use...what thread?

Practically every quilting magazine shows hand quilting technique.

Born to hand quilt, your hand quilting is sooooo very beautiful. Looking at your stitches feeds my soul!

I began teaching myself to quilt about 25 years ago and found myself, more recently, teaching classes on piecing and hand quilting. I will always hand quilt. I do not want it to become the lost art it once was in the U.S.

That is so cool! I didn't know it was possible to do that.

I've used a Clover Hera marker to do this in the past, but I think that using a needle to mark would be useful in very fine areas that need marking too. Thank you for the tip!

Looks like you are using the needle in a fashion similar to a hera marker. Very good idea. Thanks.

Eleanor Burns showed a similar method on one of her shows that I saw yesterday. She had a tool with a handle that hard a kind of dull knife edge- I think it was originally a Japanese tool for marking fabric- oh, I see others have named it; it is a Hera marker. Seems like a darning needle would be cheaper and always on hand. Beautiful handwork- thanks for sharing!

Your quilting is stunning...and thanks for the marking tip. I am about to start a small hand quilting project and this technique will come in handy.

Thank you for sharing this, I have never heard of this, that is why I love this sight, I am always learning something new.

Your hand quilting is superb. My attempts look like I'm trying to sew a tent together!

Would love to watch a You Tube video of you quilting !!! Your stitches are AMAZING !!!

Simply wonderful quilting. I would love to do that. You are so talented.

Here are two pictures of needle markings. I use this method of marking my hand quilting patterns with a darning needle for light colored fabrics and it works great. The best thing: you don't have to remove any markings after the quilting has been finished!
    Do you use stencils for all patterns except your straight lines?

Quote Originally Posted by miz mary
    Would love to watch a You Tube video of you quilting !!! Your stitches are AMAZING !!!
    Hint, hint

Here are two pictures of needle markings. I use this method of marking my hand quilting patterns with a darning needle for light colored fabrics and it works great. The best thing: you don't have to remove any markings after the quilting has been finished!
    How about your hooping? Doesn't look like is tight.

This is a really helpful posting, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by donac
    What kind of batting do you use?
    For the quilt on the picture I try a new brand here in Germany, it is called Luna from Moda. The material is 80 % cotton and 20 % poly. It is easy to quilt but a little bit fuzzy, no bearding.
    In general I prefer the 80/20 brands of Hobbs or Legacy, but I also like 100% cotton of Quilter's Dream, Legacy or Tuscany.
    My prefered hand quilting thread is YLI.

We hand quilt at our Senior Center .... which is where I learned how. However I don't believe anyone has ever tried this method of marking one's quilt, this way .... and I plan on sharing your method with the other gals. Thanks for posting this.

RNUNU

Quote Originally Posted by JCL in FL
    I am a hand quilter but I have never done a whole cloth. I quilt pieced quilts and blank squares that are alternated in some patterns like the Irish Chain but my fingers get sore. How do you avoid this. Sometimes I bleed on my fabric.
    When I started quilting about 20 years ago I had the same problem. I could never get used to a thimble (and I tried many!) and the middle finger of my right hand get sore. For that reason I slowly changed my quilting technique and it was getting much better. I don't push the needle with the middle finger like you do with the Rocking Stich, I hold the thread directly at the needle's eye between thumb and forefinger. When the stitch is done and the needle comes back to the top I can grab it easily - so you see I do single stitches. And I have calluses on my forefinger tips!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast