Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
New from Oregon ~ 1st quilt pic >

New from Oregon ~ 1st quilt pic

New from Oregon ~ 1st quilt pic

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma. Your quilt is beautiful. I love your colors. You've got what it takes. Glad you're here.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM

It is totally gorgeous, and another Oklahoma welcome to you!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Izy

Well done you!! What a challenge for your first quilt, it is a stunner, your colours are perfect :D

Welcome from spain by the way, and I really look forward to your next project :D :D :D
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Welcome from Oregon! That is a gorgeous quilt!! By the looks of that quilt I would have thought you had been quilting for years! Great job!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 AM

OMG first quilt? Well lets see, pattern -perfect,colors- magnificent,block placement-right on.........OK you get the picture, a 1st job WELL done can't wait to see more. Welcome from Alaska. :D
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM

I really love this quilt...Great colors and nice job....Keep going and good luck :D
Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Hello All, (again) :wink:

This really is an amazing forum! I've been making various types of art for quite awhile but I've NEVER felt so much support and encouragement! You guys are the best cure for doubt or discouragement I know of. :mrgreen:

Being new here, I didn't think to post the '411' on my quilt, so....

Margie, paper piecing is something my brain just refuses to grasp. I admit, I could try harder to get it. :shock:

GailG, I started with templates because I was unaware of strip piecing. The alternate blocks did get me started with strips and I already have multiple hangers with strips clipped to them in an attempt to get organized. I did read that it's not a bad idea to use templates to check for accuracy. As a beginner, it seemed like a good idea.

Barbara, I quilted it myself in sections and the method worked well, IMHO. Sometimes it takes me awhile to find the section seams on the back ~ print fabric helps. :D I've almost no sewing experience other than 7th grade home Ec. I will say I had to rip out more errors than I could count, sometimes the same one 2 or 3 times. To be fair, I did work on other blocks first and have 4 UFOs in my first year quilting.

When I started, I neglected the sensible approach, that of taking a beginning class. I'm sure the reason I decided to try that quilt is because of ignorance on my part. Nobody with experience told me where I should start.

Sorry for the long-winded post. When I post my next project I'll include details. Thanks again for all the encouragement!

julieah :)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:11 PM

It's wonderful! I love it! Can I have it? Just kidding. (Not really, lol)

Great job and I love those vibrant colors. Did you design it yourself?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:19 PM

That quilt is amazing.. Wonderful color's, and welcome to the group, from Muscatine, Ia. Everyone is very wonderful and friendly.. Don-isewman1
Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by julieah
Hello All, (again) :wink:

This really is an amazing forum! I've been making various types of art for quite awhile but I've NEVER felt so much support and encouragement! You guys are the best cure for doubt or discouragement I know of. :mrgreen:

Being new here, I didn't think to post the '411' on my quilt, so....

Margie, paper piecing is something my brain just refuses to grasp. I admit, I could try harder to get it. :shock:

GailG, I started with templates because I was unaware of strip piecing. The alternate blocks did get me started with strips and I already have multiple hangers with strips clipped to them in an attempt to get organized. I did read that it's not a bad idea to use templates to check for accuracy. As a beginner, it seemed like a good idea.

Barbara, I quilted it myself in sections and the method worked well, IMHO. Sometimes it takes me awhile to find the section seams on the back ~ print fabric helps. :D I've almost no sewing experience other than 7th grade home Ec. I will say I had to rip out more errors than I could count, sometimes the same one 2 or 3 times. To be fair, I did work on other blocks first and have 4 UFOs in my first year quilting.

When I started, I neglected the sensible approach, that of taking a beginning class. I'm sure the reason I decided to try that quilt is because of ignorance on my part. Nobody with experience told me where I should start.

Sorry for the long-winded post. When I post my next project I'll include details. Thanks again for all the encouragement!

julieah :)
Sorry for coping the whole quote, but my attempt at using only part of it failed. :oops:

I admire your willingness to try. I, too, just dove in and started without knowing anything about quilts or quilting. It hooked me in and that is when I began to "pay attention" to the quilting shows, magazines, etc. There are still so many things for me to learn and the clock is ticking. So every minute I have to spare is spent either reading, listening, or stitching.

It is great that you figured it out for yourself -- "where to start." You did a great job. Oh, and don't worry about the UFO's. They have served their purpose. :lol: