Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
new post for Bargello progress (batik fall wall hanging) - DONE-bottom of pg 8 >

new post for Bargello progress (batik fall wall hanging) - DONE-bottom of pg 8

new post for Bargello progress (batik fall wall hanging) - DONE-bottom of pg 8

Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM

I love to see it all come together. It looks awesome.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by stillwaters
{Are you ready to show us yours?? Have you thought about borders? How do we choose?? }

Well, I can't say that I'm READY to show mine, but it may help others who try their hand at a Bargello....
I think (I hope!) I learned some things about fabric selection. As you'll see, there are a few fabrics that I should not have used, they don't flow well. But until I tried it, I couldn't really see it. This is part of a quilt called "Free Falling" from the Oct. 09 Quilter's World Magazine. There will be maple leaves on top and one side and I am using a cocoa brown border ... I think. The leaves are made from 9 of the fabrics from the Bargello. My next one will be better! :-)
Stillwater, how would you chose your fabrics next time? Maybe all the same sized pring? No?
Hi, GrannieAnnie
There are about 3 or 4 fabrics in mine that do not blend well. The pattern, when cut up for the Bargello doesn't flow and it ruins the continuity of the whole design. It seems to jerk my eyes away from the "flow" of the pattern. Next time, I will choose all fabrics with an overall "even" design or coloration. I hope that makes sense!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I've been reading a lot about these quilts, and see that there's a strip method & one that makes a 'tube' from the fabric after the colors are sewn together. I'm wondering if one works better than the other one. I found a nice, simpler smaller one on the download I got last night. It's more of a 'wave' and uses the fabric tube technique.

Just have to say again the wonderful job you gals did on your quilts. They are just awesome!! I told my hubby I'd like to take a trip to a fabric shop in Lancaster & pick a bunch of fabric for a bargello, maybe all smaller floral prints to make it look like a wildflower garden. He looked at me like I was nuts & said I have too many projects started already. Funny thing is, I only have like 2, and one's almost done.
I have a plan for a wildflower garden quilt using the Surf Song design... great minds think alike!!
Oh, I really LIKE the idea of using small floral prints for this! I'll be waiting for pictures of these!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

I was gonna say Bargellos look best without borders, and then you came up with the perfect border. Way to go Karla!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM

Oh my, is that gorgeous!!!!! A twisted bargello, or possibly even a links bargello, if I can find a pattern, is on my to-do list for 2011. I've never done one of any kind at all yet, so, whaddya think, should I start out with a simpler one than the twisted? The simple ones just aren't as stunning, though!!

Love your organization, and totally understand why it is key!!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PWinston
Your quilt is going to be drop dead gorgeous. Fall colors are my favorite

You did a wonderful job of fabric/color selection. Can't wait to see the finished product.
My sentiments exactly!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
QM
Power Poster

Stunning!! I think I would use a narrow border of the gold and a wider one of their of the others. I think I like the middle one best for that. All of your fabric choices are marvelous.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM

So glad you posted this "in process", shows how the double curve gets in there.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Wow, that is beautiful.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM

I have always been a little afraid of the Bargello quilts but you make it look easy. Looks like your good organizational skills are key.