Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
New toy, and another UFO is no longer "UF" >

New toy, and another UFO is no longer "UF"

New toy, and another UFO is no longer "UF"

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Thanks, all, for your kind comments. I feel better knowing quilters think the quilting is fine.
This is the first time I've done any "fancy" quilting. I've done LOTS of in the ditch quilting, and a few placemats with the meandering-type of quilting. This is my first time trying anything more complex on a larger format. It's a crib size -- about 44"x58". The funny thing is, I can't really draw to save my life!
littlehud and bluebird -- this set-up is a dream! I can't believe how easy it is to use. I have a friend with a different brand of frame, and she needs two other people to help her put a quilt on her frame. I did mine all by myself! It motion on it is fantastic, really smooth.
As far as set-up, it comes in about a million pieces, and it looks like it's going to take a week or two to assemble. The instructions say 2-4 hours. I suppose if you know what you are doing, it could be done that fast. BUT, the instructions are pretty well-written. I put it about 90% together by myself. And I am not at all mechanically inclined. It took closer to 6-7 hours over two days and evenings. DH was at Bible Study when it was delivered, and I just couldn't wait to put it together! :lol: There were a couple of issues with the instructions, and I was really frustrated at one point, and my DH had to undo some of the work because of an ommission on the part of the Grace company, but it's done now!
In all fairness, this is the first and only frame like this I have used, so I have nothing to use for comparison.
I did get the Grace Sure Stitch to go with it, and it is probably my favorite part. All my stitches were even without a lot of headache on my part.
I ordered it from Sew-Vac-Direct as a package deal and got free shipping.
Funny story about me being a moron, and I'll end this post. I spend all day Saturday trying to get the machine tension right. I fought and fought with it ALL DAY. I was ready to throw it from our balcony! Then I realized I wasn't putting down the presser foot, and the tension discs don't engage until you put the presser foot down! I kept wondering if I could change my screenname here to TheQuiltingMoron... :oops:
Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 AM

Lucky you with your new toy!! Love the leaves!! Qult is beautiful!!

Susan
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by justquiltin'
Thanks, all, for your kind comments. I feel better knowing quilters think the quilting is fine.
This is the first time I've done any "fancy" quilting. I've done LOTS of in the ditch quilting, and a few placemats with the meandering-type of quilting. This is my first time trying anything more complex on a larger format. It's a crib size -- about 44"x58". The funny thing is, I can't really draw to save my life!
littlehud and bluebird -- this set-up is a dream! I can't believe how easy it is to use. I have a friend with a different brand of frame, and she needs two other people to help her put a quilt on her frame. I did mine all by myself! It motion on it is fantastic, really smooth.
As far as set-up, it comes in about a million pieces, and it looks like it's going to take a week or two to assemble. The instructions say 2-4 hours. I suppose if you know what you are doing, it could be done that fast. BUT, the instructions are pretty well-written. I put it about 90% together by myself. And I am not at all mechanically inclined. It took closer to 6-7 hours over two days and evenings. DH was at Bible Study when it was delivered, and I just couldn't wait to put it together! :lol: There were a couple of issues with the instructions, and I was really frustrated at one point, and my DH had to undo some of the work because of an ommission on the part of the Grace company, but it's done now!
In all fairness, this is the first and only frame like this I have used, so I have nothing to use for comparison.
I did get the Grace Sure Stitch to go with it, and it is probably my favorite part. All my stitches were even without a lot of headache on my part.
I ordered it from Sew-Vac-Direct as a package deal and got free shipping.
Funny story about me being a moron, and I'll end this post. I spend all day Saturday trying to get the machine tension right. I fought and fought with it ALL DAY. I was ready to throw it from our balcony! Then I realized I wasn't putting down the presser foot, and the tension discs don't engage until you put the presser foot down! I kept wondering if I could change my screenname here to TheQuiltingMoron... :oops:
Thank you for the info, am going to look up the Sew-Vac-Direct and see about what I need to be saving :cry: Don't beat yourself up, we all have left the presser foot up, and had to tear out lots too. My first attempt at meandering, I left the feed dogs up and couldn't figure out why it was so jerky, ended up being the jerk for an operator :lol: Didn't even figure it out for about a week, then it dawned on me :oops:
Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/grac-gra...rnperfect.html
That's the link to the package I bought. I still can't figure out what, exactly, that Pattern Perfect thing is. :roll: It came with some wooden pieces with gouges cut out.
We saved for MONTHS and MONTHS and ... well, you get the picture. :D
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM

Love your quilt. Its very cute.
Glad to hear you like your machine. Seems like others here have a set-up like that.....I may have to check that out. Jumping into a full longarm is such sticker shock! :shock: This might be a good alternitive to that.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Your quilt turned out great. I have some type of long arm in my future! I need to learn how to meander on my quilts! Glad you got a system that you like!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM

You did a wonderful job!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

I love it.. Beautiful in every way? What's the name of the block? Sure is pretty
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM

The block is rosebud. The pattern I used for this one is from Eleanor Burns' Egg Money Quilts. BUT, I have used (and like almost just as well) the one from quilterscache...
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RosebudBlock.html
The quilterscach has the benefit that its free from their website. It's a great scrapbuster block if you want to do a scrappy quilt, too. :D
Old 10-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by justquiltin'
The block is rosebud. The pattern I used for this one is from Eleanor Burns' Egg Money Quilts. BUT, I have used (and like almost just as well) the one from quilterscache...
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RosebudBlock.html
The quilterscach has the benefit that its free from their website. It's a great scrapbuster block if you want to do a scrappy quilt, too. :D
Ohhhhhh ok. I have the egg money book..... Musta missed that quilt. Thanks kiddo.... :P Keep up the good work