Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: New use for an old device

  1. #1
    Super Member spartan quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    central North Dakota
    Posts
    1,374
    I saw a tutorial this past week, posted by athenagwis, on "paper piecing with freezer paper" without sewing through the paper. I am going to do the quarter block log cabin and make a "thinking outside the box", but have been slow getting started, because I am not good at doing a log cabin. Just can never get my strips uniform. Well, I practiced this method this afternoon, and it worked. So, getting back to the title of this topic. I found that folding on the line, was another challenge to me. :thumbdown:

    So, to be sure that I was folding right on the line, I dug in my sewing stuff and came up with this old device, which I think is called a tracing wheel. I placed it on my paper, on the line with a straight edge ruler, and ran the tracing wheel down it, therefore perforating the paper, making it easier to fold. I remember using it as a teen, marking patterns onto the material with carbon paper

    The second picture is the scrappy block that I did, to see how hard it would be. I am so ready to cut my real material and get going now. But, I am off to take care of grandkids, so it will have to wait a few days. Also, I should get some other projects finished, before starting another. :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I believe this is a tracing wheel, and it worked well to mark my lines for folding
    Name:  Attachment-196241.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  2.27 MB

    This is my practice block, and now I can hardly wait to start on the real thing.
    Name:  Attachment-196242.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  2.39 MB

  2. #2
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,262
    clever.

  3. #3
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,657
    Blog Entries
    194
    great idea for using the tracing wheel

  4. #4
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,461
    Why not slip in a piece of the tracing paper and have your line on your fabric ... and not have to deal with the folded paper?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Motorcyclemad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mostly Oklahoma (Army Brat)
    Posts
    515
    That is a great idea! Right now, I am using my tracing wheel for propping up the lid on a miniature greenhouse I have seeds sprouting in. :lol: It was the only thing within reach! :oops:

  6. #6
    Power Poster feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    10,255
    I actually preforate my freezer paper with the unthreaded needle of my sewing machine. You can make several pattern pieces at once by stacking up the freezer paper and touching the tip of a hot iron in several spots. I have gotten up to 5 sheets to stick together this way. On my top sheet (shiney side up) I usually place a tracing or copy of my original pattern. I then stitch along the the lines for preforation of my freezer paper. I have never attempted to piece the freezer paper method without preforating it. I can imagine you would get very frustrated very quickly trying to fold exactly where you needed to fold.

    Judy Mathieson has detailed instructions on this method in her mariner's compass book "Setting a new Course". Ever since seeing this method I try to PP with freezer paper whenever the pattern seems friendly to it. I much prefer it to not having to tear off paper when done and I love the idea of being able to reuse the pattern pieces up to 8 times before they quit sticking.

  7. #7
    Cyn
    Cyn is offline
    Super Member Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    6,761
    Blog Entries
    17
    Great idea!

  8. #8
    Super Member Foxflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Surprise Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,242
    I have one of those, actually, a double, and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. Thanks for the idea.

  9. #9
    Super Member hcarpanini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,409
    I hate holding on to old things. Good for you for saving this.

  10. #10
    Super Member spartan quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    central North Dakota
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Why not slip in a piece of the tracing paper and have your line on your fabric ... and not have to deal with the folded paper?


    Because then, I don't have to deal with tearing the paper off the seams.

  11. #11
    Super Member spartan quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    central North Dakota
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I actually preforate my freezer paper with the unthreaded needle of my sewing machine. You can make several pattern pieces at once by stacking up the freezer paper and touching the tip of a hot iron in several spots. I have gotten up to 5 sheets to stick together this way. On my top sheet (shiney side up) I usually place a tracing or copy of my original pattern. I then stitch along the the lines for preforation of my freezer paper. I have never attempted to piece the freezer paper method without preforating it. I can imagine you would get very frustrated very quickly trying to fold exactly where you needed to fold.


    Judy Mathieson has detailed instructions on this method in her mariner's compass book "Setting a new Course". Ever since seeing this method I try to PP with freezer paper whenever the pattern seems friendly to it. I much prefer it to not having to tear off paper when done and I love the idea of being able to reuse the pattern pieces up to 8 times before they quit sticking.
    Love the needle idea. Thanks

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,372
    I use tracing wheel as a marking device also.

  13. #13
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,806
    Cynthia England does similar "paper piecing" but not paper piecing - that is you use paper but you don't sew through the paper. Saw a breif demo in Paducah and found this demo on her web site.

    Is what your doing similar to what she is doing? I liked the results that she had with crisp corners on really odd shaped pieces.

    http://www.englanddesign.com/

  14. #14
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,461
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Why not slip in a piece of the tracing paper and have your line on your fabric ... and not have to deal with the folded paper?


    Because then, I don't have to deal with tearing the paper off the seams.
    Thanks ... that makes sense!

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,826
    Yes, it's a tracing wheel. And your block came out perfect.
    Kat

  16. #16
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,636
    Great idea. You are so clever

  17. #17
    Senior Member olebat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    809
    Blog Entries
    10
    Oh, I can tell this is going to blossom into something really good. Thanks.

  18. #18
    Super Member blahel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    1,902
    Blog Entries
    16
    saw your title and I got all excited because I thought you had found a new use for me! :lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.