Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New use for an old device

I saw a tutorial this past week, posted by athenagwis, on "paper piecing with freezer paper" without sewing through the paper. I am going to do the quarter block log cabin and make a "thinking outside the box", but have been slow getting started, because I am not good at doing a log cabin. Just can never get my strips uniform. Well, I practiced this method this afternoon, and it worked. So, getting back to the title of this topic. I found that folding on the line, was another challenge to me. :thumbdown:

So, to be sure that I was folding right on the line, I dug in my sewing stuff and came up with this old device, which I think is called a tracing wheel. I placed it on my paper, on the line with a straight edge ruler, and ran the tracing wheel down it, therefore perforating the paper, making it easier to fold. I remember using it as a teen, marking patterns onto the material with carbon paper

The second picture is the scrappy block that I did, to see how hard it would be. I am so ready to cut my real material and get going now. But, I am off to take care of grandkids, so it will have to wait a few days. Also, I should get some other projects finished, before starting another. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I believe this is a tracing wheel, and it worked well to mark my lines for folding
    Name:  Attachment-196241.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  2.27 MB

This is my practice block, and now I can hardly wait to start on the real thing.
    Name:  Attachment-196242.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  2.39 MB

clever.

Blog Entries
    great idea for using the tracing wheel

Why not slip in a piece of the tracing paper and have your line on your fabric ... and not have to deal with the folded paper?

That is a great idea! Right now, I am using my tracing wheel for propping up the lid on a miniature greenhouse I have seeds sprouting in. :lol: It was the only thing within reach! :oops:

I actually preforate my freezer paper with the unthreaded needle of my sewing machine. You can make several pattern pieces at once by stacking up the freezer paper and touching the tip of a hot iron in several spots. I have gotten up to 5 sheets to stick together this way. On my top sheet (shiney side up) I usually place a tracing or copy of my original pattern. I then stitch along the the lines for preforation of my freezer paper. I have never attempted to piece the freezer paper method without preforating it. I can imagine you would get very frustrated very quickly trying to fold exactly where you needed to fold.

Judy Mathieson has detailed instructions on this method in her mariner's compass book "Setting a new Course". Ever since seeing this method I try to PP with freezer paper whenever the pattern seems friendly to it. I much prefer it to not having to tear off paper when done and I love the idea of being able to reuse the pattern pieces up to 8 times before they quit sticking.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Great idea!

I have one of those, actually, a double, and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. Thanks for the idea.

I hate holding on to old things. Good for you for saving this.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Why not slip in a piece of the tracing paper and have your line on your fabric ... and not have to deal with the folded paper?

Because then, I don't have to deal with tearing the paper off the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I actually preforate my freezer paper with the unthreaded needle of my sewing machine. You can make several pattern pieces at once by stacking up the freezer paper and touching the tip of a hot iron in several spots. I have gotten up to 5 sheets to stick together this way. On my top sheet (shiney side up) I usually place a tracing or copy of my original pattern. I then stitch along the the lines for preforation of my freezer paper. I have never attempted to piece the freezer paper method without preforating it. I can imagine you would get very frustrated very quickly trying to fold exactly where you needed to fold.

Judy Mathieson has detailed instructions on this method in her mariner's compass book "Setting a new Course". Ever since seeing this method I try to PP with freezer paper whenever the pattern seems friendly to it. I much prefer it to not having to tear off paper when done and I love the idea of being able to reuse the pattern pieces up to 8 times before they quit sticking.
    Love the needle idea. Thanks

I use tracing wheel as a marking device also.

Cynthia England does similar "paper piecing" but not paper piecing - that is you use paper but you don't sew through the paper. Saw a breif demo in Paducah and found this demo on her web site.

Is what your doing similar to what she is doing? I liked the results that she had with crisp corners on really odd shaped pieces.

http://www.englanddesign.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE

Because then, I don't have to deal with tearing the paper off the seams.
    Thanks ... that makes sense!

Yes, it's a tracing wheel. And your block came out perfect.
    Kat

Great idea. You are so clever

Blog Entries
    Oh, I can tell this is going to blossom into something really good. Thanks.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    saw your title and I got all excited because I thought you had found a new use for me! :lol: