Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Next project figured out >

Next project figured out

Next project figured out

Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Final design... unless something comes up as I am sewing it together. :wink:

I had to play around with the placement because I need 16 more charm squares than I have. I will use a strip of the dark brown floral border fabric to make them. Instead of having the extras scattered around I put them in the middle and framed the whole area with the lighest patch in blue.

I didn't use the tonal browns because there is already so much brown and there is enough of the other colors.

The whole thing will take eight 25 charm packs (should have used 9), 4 yards of the beige, and 3 yards of border. At least that's what I purchased.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-31944.jpe  
Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM

That is going to be really pretty Pam. I wish I was smart enough to be able to figure out my quilts on the computer like this. I just draw them on graph paper and am never satisfied with the results!!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
That is going to be really pretty Pam. I wish I was smart enough to be able to figure out my quilts on the computer like this. I just draw them on graph paper and am never satisfied with the results!!
I echo that. I never have a clue as to HOW MUCH fabric to buy. So I buy a whole lot and end up with lots of extra. I know some of you may be thinking that that's a good thing, but when there's a lot you kinda get tired of looking at the same prints. I have a bin full of pinks to maroons from a large quilt I made 6 years ago. I know I need to use them in charity quilts or something that will go farrrr away, but everytime I want to make a charity quilt, I use other things, etc. etc. etc.......
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 AM

That's going to be beautiful!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 AM

I'm the opposite, I tend to not get enough. I think I messed up on my figuring here anyway. It's hard to count the squares of each so I used a colored dot in Paint and marked each one as I counted each type of floral.

I have 8 charm packs, each pack has 4 each of 4 florals, that's 16 florals per pack x 8 = 128. Each 9 patch block has 4 florals and a center tonal except for the outer ones, that uses a beige in place of one floral.

That's 24 blocks with an extra beige so, 24 of them only need 3 florals. 24x3=72. 24 of the blocks need 4 florals so that's 24x4=96, plus the 72 equals 168. 168 - 128 florals in the charm packs leaves another 40 needed.

I will need 40 5" squares from the border fabric. How did I figure I only needed 16 more?? Heck if I know and I may be wrong this time too!! I guess I'll find out when I put the charms and beiges into sets to sew together. I don't want to think about it anymore right now but if I need that many maybe I'll just order 3 more charm packs! They're $4.95 each so it's not a big deal. Just the annoyance factor... :x
Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 AM

Love that pattern and also love your fabric.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM

That's going to be really beautiful! You are so talented and creative!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I'm the opposite, I tend to not get enough. I think I messed up on my figuring here anyway. It's hard to count the squares of each so I used a colored dot in Paint and marked each one as I counted each type of floral.

I have 8 charm packs, each pack has 4 each of 4 florals, that's 16 florals per pack x 8 = 128. Each 9 patch block has 4 florals and a center tonal except for the outer ones, that uses a beige in place of one floral.

That's 24 blocks with an extra beige so, 24 of them only need 3 florals. 24x3=72. 24 of the blocks need 4 florals so that's 24x4=96, plus the 72 equals 168. 168 - 128 florals in the charm packs leaves another 40 needed.

I will need 40 5" squares from the border fabric. How did I figure I only needed 16 more?? Heck if I know and I may be wrong this time too!! I guess I'll find out when I put the charms and beiges into sets to sew together. I don't want to think about it anymore right now but if I need that many maybe I'll just order 3 more charm packs! They're $4.95 each so it's not a big deal. Just the annoyance factor... :x
OMGsh!! All that math just tickles my pee :lol: brain. That's why I just buy lots and be done with it. You go, Girl. You're doing fine. I just can't wait to see the finished product. I love that brown print.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 AM

While driving to work I thought of something. I didn't use the tonal Mocha and Chocolate so.... I have 16 mocha and 16 chocolate. I also only used 24 of the Mauve floral on the corner blocks so I have 8 of those. 16+16+8=40!

Dang!! Looks like I was right the first time when I ordered 8 charm packs. I was discounting the tonal browns in the design but I had included everything in my count.

Why don't I just stop thinking about it and sew.... :lol:
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM

I am so impressed by what you do. If I did all that math (or tried to) I would be in the fetal position under the electric blanket and never get any sewing done! That is going to be a beautiful quilt!