Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No polite way to say how bad this is!

Looks fine to me. I keep telling myself I should try FMQ but it scares me to death so haven't done it yet.

Practice, practice, practice it really is not bad for your first try. Keep up the good work.

I like it, I think you did a great job!

Looks good for a first attempt. Practice, practice, practice. (I'm still practicing.) lol

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    It really is fine. For a first time it looks good. Like everyone said, you'll get better much faster than you think. I was doing a pretty good job on my Bernina, then got the long arm. Wow! that was a disappointing, it felt so backward because I'd gotten used to moving the fabric on my Bernina, which really is the backward way. Sort of like moving the paper instead of the pen. Switching back to moving the pen is pretty difficult. But sticking with it worked and practicing an awful lot helped, too. I consider myself a pro--well, I guess I am, cause people pay me--but I'm definitely not ready for any competitions!

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    Just keep practicing. It gets easier, it really, really does.
    That's the truth. You'll get better and better and braver and braver as time goes by.

Well, I think your potholder looks great and that your BFF will love it.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I would be bold enough to say that most people who would receive that potholder wouldn't notice the quilting--they'd notice the fabric. If you didn't say how awful you thought the sewing was, they wouldn't even notice...honestly!

Not unless you give it to another quilter, of course. Don't. Give it to someone who doesn't sew.

It's pretty anyway, and you will improve. I'm just a newbie, but I see my improvement already!

Just keep at it it well get better .
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

It looks good. You used a short arm ? Good for you for trying. Keep it up. .

=Sarah in Brooklyn;5546523]Attachment 366036It's pouring here so I can't go running and my client just cancelled so I had some time to kill and I decided to make my first attempt at free motion quilting. It's terrible!!! And it's hard! But I sort of have the vaguest sense of how it's done now, and I'll keep trying. This is a potholder, by the way, that will be a gift for someone who really loves me a lot![/QUOTE]

What did you use for the back? Can you tell I'm new? Now not only do I have to learn to quilt I have to learn how to blog or whatever this is I'm typing.

Look alright to me, great job and thank you for sharing. Don't be so hard on yourself. LOL
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

I just bought my first FMQ foot for my machine. I'm still practicing until I get comfortable enough to attempt quilting hearts onto a baby quilt I'm making. It's scary but like anything else, it just takes practice.

I think that was a good idea to save your potholder as a reference of your quilting skills. I have finally gotten the message that practice, practice, practice is one of the most important ingredients to free motion quilting. You have to keep practicing to learn what your best style of quilting is. I think you are off to a good start.

You really did a good job on that potholder, you just don't realize it. From the picture that you posted I think it looks quite nice . I made my first free motion quilt this summer and like you was not thrilled with the outcome and yes, it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I gave it for a baby shower gift anyway and would you believe the new mother loved it so much it is now hanging in the baby's room. Don't give up, keep practicing and let us know how you are doing.

Great tips everyone and they will be ones I will remember when I finally get the courage to just "jump in" and try FMQ.
    Pat
    Patsy

I just did a lap quilt using FMQ. It is not as good as I wish it was. Some trouble with tension on the back. I did practice on some small pieces, I just decided to go for it. I find the practicing on small pieces did not help me that much.

Blog Entries
    I disagree-this is great FMQ for a first time! IMO, the 'looseness' of your quilting enhances the fabrics. For a potholder, the more you quilt them, the stiffer they become and try and bend those things around a hot pan! Wait until you wash this, you will change your mind and won't be so hard on yourself. Because it will look perfect! Nice job and love the fabrics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Practice writing your name in cursive as your FMQ pattern. That helps you learn to move the fabric in an up-down-left-right motion instead of turning it. You already have muscle memory for this motion of writing your name. Most of those who FMQ will tell you that muscle memory of whatever design you are trying to use is important. They often will take a couple minutes to 'practice' their FMQ before starting on the actual quilt, even if they quilt every day or so.

Jan in VA

Jan in VA

Thanks SO much for this explanation...I also am a newbie to FMQ, and have only done race cars on. Disney Cars themed quilt...

I must commend you! I also tried free motion this week and NO WAY IN THE WORLD would I take a picture of it! I know there is a learning curve so I might try again, but I really love to use the boards to quilt. Keep up the good work!

I don't think its Bad At All!!!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

You did a great job.I wouldn't show anybody my first try, LOL.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

It's fine Sarah and besides it's very cute!

I just took my first class on FMQ on the sewing machine, and was surprised how difficult it really is. I won't quit, either, but it's going to take a good bit of time to do it to my satisfactionl.

Blog Entries
    I'm right there with you... just learning to FMQ... it's a love - hate relationship. I love being creative but hate that I'm a perfectionist and just HOPE I'll get a little better with practice. Hang in there!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast