Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Not a fan of crumb method >

Not a fan of crumb method

Not a fan of crumb method

Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 PM

I like your crumb block! Though I am kind of like you - over think the scrappy aspect - am too organized and like things to match.

Antother thing for me to get over!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM

I think if I started with a paper foundation of the finished size I might like it better.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM

I think yours turned out fantastic!

I'd like to try one. I have a drawer of small scraps. I just printed out the tute as I asked a question in another thread. From a site I looked at before, I just wasn't thoroughly grasping the method.

I'm sure I'll experiment. Thanks for the tip about the ironing board.

My *issue* with scraps, first I LOVE scrappies, but for me I'm always afraid by not doing some sort of planning, I'll have make something that has fabrics that just stick out too, too much.

I think I'll try one that just uses scraps of a few color families that complement each other. I'll have to spend time looking for an appealing layout.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Even if you didn't like it I think it turned out great.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM

Oh i think your crumb blocks came out so nice! I have done a few, and my problem is overthinking too, so i was scared to try crumbs, but find them very relaxing. I don't get up for the iron at all, in any of my quilting any more, not until a block is finished and ready to be trimmed. I use a trick that i learned in home-ec years ago. Called finger pressing. You just press the seam, by scraping your fingernail along the seam. Only takes a second, and it's a real crisp press. As for size, i dont need to sew crumb blocks on paper, i just keep a piece of paper beside the sewing machine, the size the finished block should be, and when i wonder if a block is big enough yet, i just hold the piece of paper up to it, to see if the block is a bit bigger than the paper.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb M
Oh i think your crumb blocks came out so nice! I have done a few, and my problem is overthinking too, so i was scared to try crumbs, but find them very relaxing. I don't get up for the iron at all, in any of my quilting any more, not until a block is finished and ready to be trimmed. I use a trick that i learned in home-ec years ago. Called finger pressing. You just press the seam, by scraping your fingernail along the seam. Only takes a second, and it's a real crisp press. As for size, i dont need to sew crumb blocks on paper, i just keep a piece of paper beside the sewing machine, the size the finished block should be, and when i wonder if a block is big enough yet, i just hold the piece of paper up to it, to see if the block is a bit bigger than the paper.
That's a good idea Barb - I had the same thing K describes sometimes - trying to be economical with the scraps and ending up with a little corner missing! I think you have to be more extravagant and cut away - you can then use bigger trimmings in the next block.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM

I really need to get over this obsession with bits so small they can't be used.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
I really need to get over this obsession with bits so small they can't be used.
I was once in the garage of an English couple living here in France and the guy had all his bits and bobs ranged in little plastic crates, all along one wall and all neatly labelled - 'nails' 'screws' 'rags' etc - well one of the boxes said 'pieces of string too small to be useful'! Now THAT is anal!! :lol:
Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 AM

Yep that has me beat.