Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not sure about this one.....

I am thinking my family tree is just a tad bare, (not that I can add anymore kids..nor would I want to at this stage in life.... LOL)

I am still thinking on this, have walked away and will let it gel for a a bit....

Added Note: work in progress, going to add pictures to it. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could always add my name to your family tree, I have always wanted a sister especially one as talented as you.
    Katherine

Blog Entries
    Got your furry babies names on it? I really like your pattern and the idea is great. My family would be a bit small to take up much room on it too :roll:

Neat idea Shadow. My family tree is very one sided too.

Oh wow, that's awesome. What a great pattern and idea.

joy
    A family tree you say..... remember we are family !!!

What about adding some little birds or something to the tree, just to give it a little more "oomph", because yes, you are right, it's missing something.

Hmmmm.....wonder how it would look if you changed the name tags to a yellow instead of the white.....When you squint looking at the picture the white kind of jumps out at you....JMHO

DJ
    Personally, I'd like to see a cat sitting on the brick wall . . . Someone mentioned furbabies . . . do you have cats?

I really love all your work that I've seen here, BTW!

wow, it looks awesome shadow! ..... what about a little more greenery near the top of the tree? At the top of the main trunk, you have a name tag, what about a little greenery just below that? I think Just the greenery near the top is a little bare, im think all the greenery at the top of the main trunk could use just a little more? but absolutely beautiful!!!!

It is AWSOME Shadow! Anyone on that tree need a bird over their name?

Ahhh....childhood...
    Birdie, birdie in the sky
    Why'd you do that in my eye?
    Boy I'm glad that cows don't fly!

(It went something like that) :lol:

Blog Entries
    i'm not at all unsure. i very definitely love it. :P

since others have already made excellent suggestion of ways to fill in the skyline, i'll keep those 2 cents in my pocket. (i know ... a first for me. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Hey Shadow, it's lovely. How about a beautiful applique of the family surname above the tree? "The Smith Family" or something like that....I also like the idea of a cat on the wall or little birds in the tree. Another idea might be to take the shapes of the leaves, and alter them slightly, and in a darker shade of green, blend them "behind" the leaves that are there already. It would fill it in a little bit. I hope this helps. Those are just suggestions, but really, it's fine the way it is too. Good job!

bj
    I have nothing to add. Just wanted to say I think it's quite pretty. Liked the ideas of a little more foliage and a cat on the fence. Also, adding the pics may be just enough. Hard to say. Nice job so far!

Shadow that is going to be so beautiful,can hardly wait to see the finished project.

To my eye, it needs more green. The tree openings against the brick wall are big enough to confuse my eyes,not knowing which to focus on. I'd go for a different value on the other green, too - probably darker. It could even be scrappy.

Take a few green scraps and lay them out in the open tree spaces randomly, and you'll focus on the tree and not the wall. You want to stop the horizontal mortar line from being the center of focus. They are so strong that the tree seems in the way.

I'm with the others on introducing an element to the sky, too. It doesn't have to be big.

hmmmm, how about adding some thread painting to the trunk and leaves. I like the suggestion about using more leaves, even if they don't have names on them, they will fill out the tree. (you could always add a name here and then in the future if you wanted to)

A wonderful project! And walking away for awhile will help you with figuring out how to make it more pleasing to yourself.

I'm sure you'll get some great ideas from the gals here.

As long as your family tree has more than one branch, it is okay with me! LOL

It looks great, and I am sure after it gels a bit, you will know exactly what to do with it next!

Great work as usual!

So Shadow-how are your feeling about it now that you have had time with it?

If it was My family tree-all the name tags would be little nuts-cuz that is what my family is! LOL

I liked someone's idea of a cat or two-you have to have the WHOLE family! Fur-babies count too!
    >^..^<

Neat idea! The pictures will make it!

What a great idea. It does look like a work in progress but with all the great ideas everyone had I'm sure it will look really fabulous, as all your quilts do, when you get it done.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Deb

My daughter took pictures of all the family members and used something like modge podge to transfer the pictures to paper of course now days they have printable fabric etc and she put the picture on an apple, instead of names.
    A thought might be to put the names on a bigger green leaf with the white name tag on the leaf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh Yes...the photos really make it POP and I like the idea of putting them on apples, or nuts or whatever suits you!