Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!! >

O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!!

O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by Izy
Here's some of the blocks
I am so fascinated by this project. I do Stack & Whack but need 12 repeats. Did you use 6 panels to get the exact matches? I just have to do this.
Yes, six panels as you need six indentical triangles to form the hexagons, which are stitched together in two halves, then formed when you complete the 'rows'...go for it, it's great fun and not as much work as you would think
:wink:
I know they're not hard to make since I do Stack & Whack but wanted to be sure I had the right idea. That sure runs up the cost doesn't it. But the fabric required for the S&W takes a lot, too. I learned I can't cut corners since if you turn the fabric around, the repeats are different. I learned that the hard way. I fussy cut mine a bit though to get the look I want. I just turn my template just a bit to get what I wasnt in the pc.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Originally Posted by Gwyn
You are making a beautiful quilt. I don't think I could have cut the panel up. It is so cute. Could you 'see' what it would look like before you cut it?
I have two 6" mirrors in my handbag....must have looked strange to others while I was there positioning them all around the fabric to get an idea what the kaleidoscopes would look like.

By the way, it doesn't show how they will be exactly as you get a double mirror image, not a swirl by positioning the triangles side by side

:wink: :roll: :roll:
There is a 2 sided mirror made just for this. It shows the fabric in the round so you can see how your pc. will look. I'm thinking just use 2 mirrors held together along the sides. It's so much fun to do.
After I started doing S&W, I never looked at fabric the same again.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by Izy
Originally Posted by Gwyn
You are making a beautiful quilt. I don't think I could have cut the panel up. It is so cute. Could you 'see' what it would look like before you cut it?
I have two 6" mirrors in my handbag....must have looked strange to others while I was there positioning them all around the fabric to get an idea what the kaleidoscopes would look like.

By the way, it doesn't show how they will be exactly as you get a double mirror image, not a swirl by positioning the triangles side by side

:wink: :roll: :roll:
There is a 2 sided mirror made just for this. It shows the fabric in the round so you can see how your pc. will look. I'm thinking just use 2 mirrors held together along the sides. It's so much fun to do.
After I started doing S&W, I never looked at fabric the same again.
I held my mirrors at the 60 deg angle to emulate the cut triangle....I am not sure how else you can hold them, as you will be reflecting a larger section of fabric otherwise???

Now you got me wanting to get my mirrors out and play again lol!!

I am off for a break with DH to Cardiff in South Wales, U.K. today folks, so I guess I will have to wait until I return to find out what other suggestions you all come up with....

Be back soon, and thanks for everyones imput and lovely comments, you are all welcome to visit my OBW Planet, it's a great place to use your imagination LOL!!
:lol: :roll: :D
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

I could not cut something so pretty into little pieces. thank you for sharing and God bless. Penny
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 AM

Izy, I love your quilt. It is lovely!!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Oh, my mouth dropped with the thought of cutting up that darling panel but your quilt is really amazingly beautiful. I like that the colors are so muted, pastel and lovely.

Beautiful, really beautiful.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-05-2010, 08:04 AM

OH man, wonderful, great job
Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Wonderful choice. Someone else on here used panels for a OBW, it worked out nicely.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:39 AM

OMG, beautiful, can you show how you did it?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM

I love what you did with the panel !! What is a one block wonder ? I guess I haven't come across it . Is it a specific pattern ? Or is it in a book ? Its hard to believe the design came from the panel.