Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
OBW fabric.  How did I do? >

OBW fabric. How did I do?

OBW fabric. How did I do?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Dixie - take a peak at this lovely OBW created by dilyn here on the board! She kept her edges zigzagged and added a beautiful border treatment! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...l-t111439.html
SO pretty! I do like how she finished hers.
I'm running out of steam on this project. I have a design I want to enter in an online contest and that's where my thoughts keep going!! Jeepers...I think I have craft ADD!!
Still joining half hexes. A few rows at the top are joined...just to see how it's going to work--I know my limitations with a rotary cutter. Precision is NOT one of my strengths. But, with a tiny tug here and there, they are joining. Some are even straight!!
I'm hoping to get this beast done this weekend so I can have permission to start on my challenge quilt.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
Do you still have the selvage from the fabric, I'd love to know what it is. I've been looking for this color combination for a blooming nine patch but would NEVER have imagined that the fabric you found would have resulted in the hexagons you've created!
Jillaine,
I checked the selvages, and all that's printed besides the color dots is "Designed and printed exclusively for Joann's craft and fabric stores." It was on the clearance aisle here. I looked on their website and couldn't find it there. Hope you have a Joann's! Maybe there is hope?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Beautiful OBW

dixie_fried - I have really had lots of enjoyment going through this thread. Your result is absolutely gorgeous. It must have been a super surprise to see such results from fabric that you don't really like.

One of my very first quilts was OBW. I intended to make a 6-block lap throw, but just had to keep going. After all, what would I have done with all those cut pieces of fabrics? lol... I went back to Joanns and got enough fabric for a border and back. Mine has black between the hexes. I really need to do one with just the hexes.
cleodaisy
Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cleodaisy View Post
dixie_fried - I have really had lots of enjoyment going through this thread. Your result is absolutely gorgeous. It must have been a super surprise to see such results from fabric that you don't really like.

One of my very first quilts was OBW. I intended to make a 6-block lap throw, but just had to keep going. After all, what would I have done with all those cut pieces of fabrics? lol... I went back to Joanns and got enough fabric for a border and back. Mine has black between the hexes. I really need to do one with just the hexes.
cleodaisy
Cleodaisy--you are so sweet! I have enjoyed this thread & making this quilt, too. I hope you get around to making another one soon!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 PM

I agree...Great choice!
Tammy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 AM

Dixie, I went and got fabric, but am having a hard time getting them cut, I have wasted almost 3 yard of fabric trying to get this to work. it seems they will not go together there is always a hump in the middle. I have tried to be very careful about the 1/4" sewing line but i think it is the cutting. any ideas?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM

Very pretty, and very nice work!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by rtia View Post
Dixie, I went and got fabric, but am having a hard time getting them cut, I have wasted almost 3 yard of fabric trying to get this to work. it seems they will not go together there is always a hump in the middle. I have tried to be very careful about the 1/4" sewing line but i think it is the cutting. any ideas?
Sorry you're having trouble! I am by no means qualified to tell you what to do. I can only tell you what I did and how it worked for me!
I had a little trouble getting my prints lined up. Once I gave up on having the selvedges straight, it worked better. The fabrics are not printed straight! I tore my fabric down the middle to start...the whole length. I identified a spot near the top of the fabric, nipped the length at the same spot all the way down and tore into 6 sections. Once it was stacked, I used a pin to line up a random spot that was easy to find from the edge of all 6 layers. The selvedges were NEVER straight once the prints were lined up.
Once I had the layers pinned, I decided how I could use the fabric best--for me, it was cutting 3.5" strips and then using my pyramid ruler to cut as many 3.5" triangles as would fit on each strip. Seam allowance were already added in thanks to my ruler!
When I sewed the triangles, I broke the rules, but what I did worked and I still have my hair. I took one triangle, laid the second on top of it RST, sewed the right hand side, set the seam. I opened the set of two, and pressed the seam allowance towards the left. Then I layered the third tri on top of this set and sewed, making sure the seam allowance from the first set got sewed flat on the bottom side of this seam. Set the seam, open and press the tri out with seam allowance to the right. The seams meet on the back and are crossed by an X of stitching and are forced flat. When the halves are joined the overlap isn't visible. I tried to press open the center seam and it didn't want to lie flat, so I alternated the row joins up and down and it looks fine that way.

I hope any of that makes sense. I will pull a half hex off the design wall and take a photo for you. Maybe that can better illustrate what i did since I'm pretty sure I didn't do it like you're supposed to...

Last edited by dixie_fried; 01-09-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by rtia View Post
Are you talking about a hump from the seams coming together? or in the middle of the seam? Sounds like maybe you are having trouble with bias stretching. Starch is your friend! When I do OBW I make my fabric crispy with starch
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM

AWESOME AWESOME. I love them you can make placemats for gifts and use christmas material for next year. I love the material. not as a whole but how you did it I just love.
wonderful job,