Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
OBW fabric.  How did I do? >

OBW fabric. How did I do?

OBW fabric. How did I do?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rtia View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I think seeing the picture is a big help. I will try stacking the way you do. I did buy a 60o ruler today and hopefully all of these things will be the answer to my making a beautiful stack of hexes like your.. I may try the starch, but think I will wait and see how my next try works.
You're welcome! I hope you get it moving in the right direction. Let me know if you get stuck again and I will help if I can!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
Sorry you're having trouble! I am by no means qualified to tell you what to do. I can only tell you what I did and how it worked for me!
I had a little trouble getting my prints lined up. Once I gave up on having the selvedges straight, it worked better. The fabrics are not printed straight! I tore my fabric down the middle to start...the whole length. I identified a spot near the top of the fabric, nipped the length at the same spot all the way down and tore into 6 sections. Once it was stacked, I used a pin to line up a random spot that was easy to find from the edge of all 6 layers. The selvedges were NEVER straight once the prints were lined up.
Once I had the layers pinned, I decided how I could use the fabric best--for me, it was cutting 3.5" strips and then using my pyramid ruler to cut as many 3.5" triangles as would fit on each strip. Seam allowance were already added in thanks to my ruler!
When I sewed the triangles, I broke the rules, but what I did worked and I still have my hair. I took one triangle, laid the second on top of it RST, sewed the right hand side, set the seam. I opened the set of two, and pressed the seam allowance towards the left. Then I layered the third tri on top of this set and sewed, making sure the seam allowance from the first set got sewed flat on the bottom side of this seam. Set the seam, open and press the tri out with seam allowance to the right. The seams meet on the back and are crossed by an X of stitching and are forced flat. When the halves are joined the overlap isn't visible. I tried to press open the center seam and it didn't want to lie flat, so I alternated the row joins up and down and it looks fine that way.

I hope any of that makes sense. I will pull a half hex off the design wall and take a photo for you. Maybe that can better illustrate what i did since I'm pretty sure I didn't do it like you're supposed to...
thanks for you very detailed description of how you cut your fabric as that was the part I was having trouble understanding even after reading the book. I am now getting more and more confident that I will start my OBW soon..unfortunately I am at work at the moment on my lunch break so it will have to wait.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM

Sew pretty good choice!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM

balhel, i was the one who was having such a hard time getting right angle and dixie helped so much, I did buy a 60o triangle ruler it has made cutting a breeze after stacking and curring the strips correctly. The hexes are really turning out just the way I hoped and so many surprises.
good luck with yours. I hope to post a picture soon.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rtia View Post
balhel, i was the one who was having such a hard time getting right angle and dixie helped so much, I did buy a 60o triangle ruler it has made cutting a breeze after stacking and curring the strips correctly. The hexes are really turning out just the way I hoped and so many surprises.
good luck with yours. I hope to post a picture soon.
YAY!! So glad it's working out!! Please do post a photo when you can!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Talk about a thread that is still alive and kicking Dixie! I'm still oohing and ahhing over how your quilt is coming out. You might need to step back and catch your breath for a little while, which we all do at times. (Which is why they invented the term UFO ) I have a couple of UFOs where I am waiting for inspiration to strike me again. Sure hope you do continue at some point and then post pics when you complete this lovely quilt!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 AM

Your blocks are great. The fabric was perfect for this pattern!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 AM

great looking blocks and it seems you have done a very good job so far.
Pat
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM

Nice--very nice!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM

When finished it will be gorgeous