Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

What a beautiful quilt.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM

I am really loving these OBWs.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM

It is gorgeous!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM

I love your OBW. I am working on my first one. I might follow your ideas. I love your colors & the way you put it together.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Originally Posted by katrine
[Well done Woody - like what you've done with this. Lots of interest in the blocks from that fabric. How are you going to quilt it?
And have fun making the interlocking cubes one too - please let me know how you get on....they are fascinating to do.
Thanks Katrine, I think I will just SITD around each hexagon and I was thinking of just running a line about a 1/4" inside each black triangle.
I am still a beginner (I have only been at this for about 18 months) so all suggestions welcome.

I have enrolled in a FMQ class with Helen Godden (http://www.helengodden.com/) in late January so I might wait until I have done that and had some practice.

The interlocking cubes are nearly done, they sure are different to do as each piece looks strange until you put them all together.
Good idea Woody - I don't do any fancy quilting in the body of an OBW either - I prefer the design to dominate. If there are cubes I do SID on the seam lines of them. Then I do a meander on the blocks, but usually with a matching Masterpiece, or Bottom Line, so it hardly shows. Because the fine threads are difficult to see, occasionally I have quilted from the back (once the cubes are SID so I can leave them clear) and found it much easier. I try to do some fmq in the borders which has something to do with the fabric or theme, but sometimes a plain border is better.
And yes dont those triangles for the big cubes look weird:lol:
It's only when you have all the bits up you can "see" it! When I did Ice Follies I spent alot of time walking around with my "plan" in my hand!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM

[quote=Katrine][quote=woody]
Originally Posted by katrine
Good idea Woody - I don't do any fancy quilting in the body of an OBW either - I prefer the design to dominate. If there are cubes I do SID on the seam lines of them. Then I do a meander on the blocks, but usually with a matching Masterpiece, or Bottom Line, so it hardly shows. Because the fine threads are difficult to see, occasionally I have quilted from the back (once the cubes are SID so I can leave them clear) and found it much easier. I try to do some fmq in the borders which has something to do with the fabric or theme, but sometimes a plain border is better.
And yes dont those triangles for the big cubes look weird:lol:
It's only when you have all the bits up you can "see" it! When I did Ice Follies I spent alot of time walking around with my "plan" in my hand!
Mine are now done (but not sewn together) amazing how much I got done while the family was away camping, lol.
DD came in and said "cool Mum, but is this supposed to be like this? She picked up on a mistake that I didn't see, even though I have done nothing but look at it for 4 days, lucky it's a easy fix.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Stunning!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 PM

Know the feeling - there are 2 errors in Ice Follies I didn't see until doing the quilting, so I couldn't do much about them - but no-one else seems to have spotted them, or they are not telling....
Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 AM

I do so wont to have a go but have`nt got a clue . is there a book ?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 AM

Very nice - looks more like snow flakes!