Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ok, Ladies and Gents , see if you know what this is for and what it is. >

Ok, Ladies and Gents , see if you know what this is for and what it is.

Ok, Ladies and Gents , see if you know what this is for and what it is.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bessie
I have one of these and have the part that it fits into. When I purchased this it has a note on the bottom of it that stated this: "Label Maker - part of the loom used to make clothing labels. An endless loop chain runs over the label maker. Steel pegs go into the holes of the chain. The pegs are programmed into whatever pattern is wanted. The chain runs in a jacquard unit, hanging over the loom and connected by long silk strings."
Well, that makes a little better picture in my brain, but I'm still struggling with it! Pretty neat stuff they used to come up with.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Do you know what a "sad iron" looks like? Do you know why it was called a "sad iron"?
------------------------------------------------------
yeah, I know what a sad iron was, and it was with great joy that we got electricity and could have a plug in iron. I still have one of the first ones, rectangle it is, haven't had the nerve to plug it in, it's so old.

The sad irons were great blocks of metal that you stuck on a wood stove and let them get hot, then you put a curved handle in a hole in them, rubbed them over a wet cloth to get smoke dust off them and then ironed like mad till it cooled off. Then it went back on the stove and you stuck the handle in the spare and did the same thing with it. The sad part of it was the muscles needed to lift and use that thing, and at that time every darn piece of fabric in the house had to be ironed!~ From Grandpa's heavy pants and shirts to sheets and pillowcases to even my ankle socks and panties and feed sack princess slips and dresses.[/quote]

Oh boy meeeeemooories-- when I was married in1966,went to live on property in bush, no state power, 32volt generator ---aaaaand quess what! - the good old stove heated Flat Irons(thats what called here in Aust) - was like that til 1972.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Only in Kansas apparently. Must not be necessary to anything I do! :roll:
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM

I will take a shot at this and say it is used to make the curves of a wedding ring pattern....

am I right?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by ssnare
This has been fun. O.K. I will tell you. It is a shuttle to make fabric or yarn in the milling industry. There is a little bead on top that goes back and forth. The little metal curved piece goes up and down. I thought you would all enjoy something like this.
Here was the answer.
great guessing game. Wonder if anyone else has another item for us to identify. Can we keep it going?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 AM

A fancy paper weight (?) Let me know quick (lol)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bessie
I have one of these and have the part that it fits into. When I purchased this it has a note on the bottom of it that stated this: "Label Maker - part of the loom used to make clothing labels. An endless loop chain runs over the label maker. Steel pegs go into the holes of the chain. The pegs are programmed into whatever pattern is wanted. The chain runs in a jacquard unit, hanging over the loom and connected by long silk strings."
Thank you, Bessie
Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
JAS

Yes, I think I do...It was used in making lables that you found in clothing apparrel.I have one similar and one of the labels. Think we got it in Indiana several yrs back.. Factory they came from closed down yrs ago(I think there is a thread device missing from the picture..like a spool thing tht fits with this part).The labels were very detailed and colorful. Mine is packed away so not able to show a picture..
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
JAS

So sorry I see someone above me has already id it guess I need to read all before I send..Bessie is correct..