Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Old Quilt.rescue from thrift store

What age do you think. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. Some of the fabric seems to be a seersucker. One block has some faint printing. The batting is cotton wadding
    and the backing is pink

back
    Name:  Attachment-2398.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  11.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fifties is my best guess.

It looks like a fun quilt! Lucky you!

lin
    Fifties was my first thought as well, but I honestly have no idea. I'm not good at placing fabrics into a time era. But what a lovely old scrap quilt that is. I think you're very lucky to have rescued it!! :)

Izy
    Wow an original scrappy crumb block quilt - what a lucky find...did you have to pay much for it??? That is a treasure....though I see your fur baby has claimed it already :lol:

I have no idea how old it is, but I would say at least 50-60's going by the style of the fabrics :D

Lucky you!! :D

I paid a whopping 5.99...I was thrilled.......I wish it had a name on it

Izy
    Well maybe you should add one now....explaining about its fresh start with a loving owner....... :-)

I'm thinking 50s, early 60s.
    Pretty quilt and kitty looks comfy and thinks it's a nice quilt too!

I'm guessing mid to late 60's, here's why... That yellow fabric with the flowers just above the red plaid in the second pic and then again on the left side of the same pic. My mother made my sister and I matching dresses for school from that exact fabric! I remember it because my sister hated it when we wore them on the same day (I made sure to get dressed after she did so that could accidently happen, A LOT. We had several matching dresses LOL). I think I was in the 1st or 2nd grade. Mom has a picture of us in them, I'll see if we can dig it up.

Its a beautiful quilt, what a treasure Ruth...so glad you rescued it!!!

What a find Ruth and great condition too!. It's a little heartbreaking that someone would get rid of it after the quilter put all that work into making it. Maybe I'm crazy I'm thinking/hoping my quilts will someday be so used/loved that they are falling apart, not gotten rid of.

Nice fine and nice quilt Ruth. I recently found 3 quilts when I unpacked boxes from my Mom's house. I know she didn't quilt, so must have been my Dad's Mom. Figure they are from the 30's to the 50's.

I could spend all day looking at all the fabrics! What a great find, lucky girl!

The plaid looks early 60's.

This reminded me of my great grandmothers quilts. She had several like this on her beds. She use to wrap us kids up in them when it was chilly.

Blog Entries
    Nice rescue :D It is a wonderful scrap quilt :D

Beautiful Kitty. The quilt is nice too :lol:

When I look at it, I sense old dresses and shirts. I wonder if it was made from used fabric like a memory quilt. Do all the fabrics feel the same, or are they different like they came from several sources and are they all cotton?

It was in the 70's that almost everything was polyester or some synthetic. My girls said I killed so many "polys" making clothes that never needed ironing, that I made them an endangered species. :D

Great find! IMHO, if your cat likes it, it has love vibes in it.

The Dog and cat went for it as soon as I spread it out. My other cat got on it as soon as it was out of the bag. Larry is the one on the blanket he is the one who had an abcess a t base of tail. Cost me a lot of fabric money lol

I agree it looks like old clothes to me. There is some seersucker, like nightgowns...some looks like mens shirts and some floral dress prints. One or two look like feed sack. There is a couple small pieces that look like polished cotton..........I wish it could talk.

:D

The feed sacks make me think of the 40's. My grandmother used to sew feedsack dresses for me and one thing I remember about them, was that they faded. It also sounds like a time when clothes were reused for quilts because there was not enough money to just go out and buy new fabric. Nothing got thrown away; clothes were patched, handed down and finally put in the rag-bag. They then became cleaning cloths, braided rugs or maybe quilts. That could have been during the war, or even the depression. It has that look to me.

If it could talk, I bet it would say, "Wow, I just woke up in a whole new world!" :)

Wow! Lucky find. I've seen the old quilts in Gatlinburg for several hundred dollars. The cat is precious..........looks like our DD's, Cassie, who lives with us since she moved overseas.

Ruth...on the picture "Q Q 4" there is a plaid in pinks on the right side of your picture and the second fabric up from the bottom of the picture...that fabric looks exactly like a little dress I bought my neice for Christmas back in 1973.

Lots of colors in your new rescued quilt? How much was it $$$$ great rescue. I like to rescue quilts also!!!!

That fabric is one of the grainy ones that is all cotton, This is pink smears with drawn boxes and Bebe it was 6 dollars :D

That was agood buy Ruth!!! i would have snatched it up too!!!
    Enjoy your quilt.