Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One block wonder - two fabrics

One block wonder - two fabrics

I always want to make smaller quilts, and end up making huge ones LOL

So here is the layout that I have chosen for my one block wonder ... except I used two fabrics! Same pattern, just different background

I do have extra hexies to finish it off ... And I will probably go "over" the background with a couple of them.

Thoughts?

I am wondering if I should put them in some kind of order, or just let it be "random" as long as I don't have two similar blocks beside each other ... ideas?

Thanks so much

Name:  IMG_2035.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  182.5 KB

Blog Entries
    very nicely done. i love thelayout
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Great layout! I suspected the secondary pattern with the 2 backgrounds would be dynamite!

I like the way it looks now.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

MarionsQuilts! .... Awesome!
    Addictive, aren't they?

I love what you have going on here. Just play with the hexies and gradually move the ones that seem "off" to you, until you find what pleases your eye. For example, right now, for your centre of the spirals, I would replace that black one in the centre with an aqua, so that the two sides spiral out in the same way. Does that make sense? But that is my eye ... and yours may want to punch mine out!!!

For the sides/top/bottom, consider what your plan is ... are you lopping off the extra 1/2's of the hexies to straighten the edges? If so, you may want to fill in the edges with 1/2s, so that you have a complete hexie plus the 1/2 outer row, and maybe this is already what is in your plans?

Here's a tip from when I took the class for this ... it looks to me that you have the 1/2s places side-by-siide, but are loose. They had us pin them together, so we could easily pick up a pair, and not worry about losing the other 1/2 as we moved it around to create the final setting.

Love it!! ............ anxious to see the finale!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

QuiltE ... thanks ... I have answered in your quote!!!! Any more thoughts are more than welcome! It's my first real one (not counting the first one I did that was way too busy!)

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    MarionsQuilts! .... Awesome!

Addictive, aren't they? - very addictive, I'm just not a patient person, so layouts like this are not my forte!

I love what you have going on here. Just play with the hexies and gradually move the ones that seem "off" to you, until you find what pleases your eye. For example, right now, for your centre of the spirals, I would replace that black one in the centre with an aqua, so that the two sides spiral out in the same way. Does that make sense? But that is my eye ... and yours may want to punch mine out!!!

Makes perfect sense, and I will definitely give it a shot! No, would never want to punch your eye! LOL I welcome all comments!

For the sides/top/bottom, consider what your plan is ... are you lopping off the extra 1/2's of the hexies to straighten the edges? If so, you may want to fill in the edges with 1/2s, so that you have a complete hexie plus the 1/2 outer row, and maybe this is already what is in your plans?

I have extras to fill it in ... I might also do a border, and have some come over the border

Here's a tip from when I took the class for this ... it looks to me that you have the 1/2s places side-by-siide, but are loose. They had us pin them together, so we could easily pick up a pair, and not worry about losing the other 1/2 as we moved it around to create the final setting.

The full hexies are pinned together ... which definitely makes it much easier - I used safety pins LOL Once I am happy with the layout (and get my designer board - waiting for Christmas since it is the only thing on my list!) then I will place them all on the designer board so I can sew them together by rows.

Right now I am just seeking tons on input / ideas from everyone, since I am so lost as to layout of each hexie! It took me 3 days of surfing the net and pinterest just to find a layout that I liked, now I have to work out the layout of the hexies!

I appreciate all the input!

Love it!! ............ anxious to see the finale!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Great layout! I suspected the secondary pattern with the 2 backgrounds would be dynamite!
    I was hopeful - especially after sewing them all together!

I really like this look.

Leave it just the way it is. It seems to swirl. Good job.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Wow, that is amazing... brilliant!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    QuiltE ... thanks ... I have answered in your quote!!!! Any more thoughts are more than welcome! It's my first real one (not counting the first one I did that was way too busy!)
    Thanks for the Thanks!!
    As for the patience and layouts ... me too! Is that our Canuckian blood?

As you have noted OBWs can become jumbles, but this one is heading to "wonder", not jumble!

Great news that a design-wall is coming your way for Christmas.
    Soon you will be wondering how you lasted so long with a design-floor.
    All you will be saying is, it needs to be larger ....... or I need more than one design-wall!

You have a great eye and sense for design, so motor on ... you really do not need us!

On another more local note for you ... missed my annual Running Stitch fix last weekend.
    I do like that store and only wish I was closer and could regularly stop by.
    Do hope it continues to flourish.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

very nice blocks
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I really like this! One of the first quilts I made was a OBW, and I'd say it more turned out to be a jumble than anything else. I loved the fabric, but I think it did not have a bold enough print to give a good diversity in the blocks. I love when you can get a good spiral look to them.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I really like this quilt. Beautiful with two colors, gives lots of interest. I look forward to seeing the finish.

Wow, love that layout.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

I really like that layout. It sort of looks like the universe. Job well done.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    No matter how you arrange the blocks, it is gorgeoys!

Very nice!

Blog Entries
    oh my goodness. i didn't think it could get any better, but it did. you did a wonderful job!

It looks good!
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avanté

Blog Entries
    I think it looks terrific just the way it is...what a great two fabric design.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Wow! Two colours - wonderful result. Look forward to seeing the completed project.

luv it !!!!!

I love the look of it as is. It's great. Can't wait to see it all finished.

I really like the way you have arranged your elements. They are just super beautiful. I like what you are doing with the two fabrics. Have you considered mixing the backgrounds in some of the hexies? That might make an interesting transition in places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast