Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One feathered star

Blog Entries
    The next start sounds lovely Pam...have you figured out your plan for using all 4 stars yet? It will be a big girl I think, but it sure will be a stunner! Are you done with the 2nd start yet??? :wink:

I am still waiting for your next move on the Dahlia too! :lol:

I have a LOT of fabric uncut. I got the whole collection of 34 FQs and I've only cut up two FQs in each color, not even all of it except for most of the largest print for the centers and points. The other print just has the small pieces cut out of each, probably half a FQ left of those.

The dahlia is doing just fine... it's laying on one of the spare beds resting. :lol: I have the 8 small flowers all turned under and basted and their yellow centers sewn on, one or two have been applique'd onto the quilt.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    You could maybe go completely starry - do a medallion with successive borders using different kinds of star blocks - ohio, friendship etc, with some plain in between to rest the eye?

K x

Your block is simpley beautiful, It would drive me mad if I had to undo that many times, it would have been in the bin if it had been me, great job I just cant see anything wrong with it at all

I see little things wrong but overall, I like it.

I have been working on designs with other stars like this one. Might be a little too much visually. Maybe smaller stars with more background between them.

Attached Images Attached Images

Or this. Would be approximately 88" square without an outside border.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I love the second one Pam! The stars in the border as a simplified version of the centre of the feathered - perfect! And the log cabin set like that - sort of 'Cabin around the Stars'!

K x

You work is always so amazing. I think it's looks just great!

Your block is wonderful!! You did a great job in matching the seams. Colors are great!

BEAUTIFUL!!

Pam--You sure do know how to challenge yourself!! Your feathered star is gorgeous and I know you will figure out a beautiful setting for it--I like both of the ones you posted.

I just thought of the perfect setting! A name even came along with it. Now, to get to work on it. I think I can finish it pretty quickly, maybe a week if I don't need to get more fabric, which I probably do.

I thought of another one while this one was percolating. It's a type of bargello that I don't think I have ever seen. I'll have to scour the net and see. It's very ambitious, don't know if it is possible without sewing every tiny piece individually, and if someone has already done it then, I don't think I will.

This is the layout that came to me at work today. Then I thought "Feathered ... cabins?" Thinking "feathered" made me think of "tarred and feathered". Starred and Feathered!

I repeated the feathers from the FS with the log cabin blocks. The two inner solid borders will let me adjust the final size of the feathered star center block to fit the first small stars then the next border can adjust to fit the larger stars.

I'm excited to see if I can do it. I have some exact measurement figuring out to do but if I can draw it, I should be able to make it in a larger scale.

This last picture gets my vote. It will be stunning.

Beautiful! :) Can't wait to see it finished. :)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That's wonderful Pam - get crackin' girl!

K x

I am crackin' ! Just hope these little stars don't make me crack! So many little pieces to cut that I got 8 of them cut out and started sewing them together for a change of pace.

They're so small at 6"! I changed the type of star in the first border.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh, your HSTs are a joy to behold! Have you made those stars EVEN MORE complex? Weren't they going to be squares in the centre?!

K x

Yes, I suppose I did make them more complex. Thing is, the pattern I found online of the squares in the middle were for different sized blocks and I wanted 6" and had the one for THIS 6" star so... changing them was the "easy" thing to do. :-)

I know what you mean about the snowball block. I have attempted that on several quilts and always wonder "why"... I think it is one of the hardest I have found to match.
    Yours looks great... nice block... keep going. Quilter1234

You are so good at figuring this stuff out I've noticed. I don't know what program you do your quilt designing in, but I'm in awe of it. I have EQ6 and haven't even scratched the surface of using it to it's full capacity...

I have EQ4 but have rarely used it. I used it for a Giant Dahlia design just so I could put the actual fabrics in and see it before doing it.

The pictures I have posted of designs are just done in MS Paint. There is probably a much easier way to do it in EQ but I find it easy to just draw them.

Either that or I'm lazy in trying to figure out the EQ program AND it should be updated to version 6. I'm sure there is a lot more a person could do there like automatically figure out sizes and such. I do think it is quite an involved program and I didn't, and still don't, find it easy to navigate.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter 1234
    I know what you mean about the snowball block. I have attempted that on several quilts and always wonder "why"... I think it is one of the hardest I have found to match.
    Yours looks great... nice block... keep going. Quilter1234
    I don't think I've done a snowball before. It seems simple enough with the directions to place a square on the corner with a line drawn point-t-point and sew on the line. I saw a formula to figure out the size of the square: Take the size of the snowball square and divide by 3. A 9 inch snowball would need a corner square of 3 inches.

I haven't tried it.

Looks really great!! I love feathered stars, just haven't had the guts to do one yet!! They are awesome!! Skeat

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Looks really great!! I love feathered stars, just haven't had the guts to do one yet!! They are awesome!! Skeat
    this is the first one I have done and it's not hard, not like doing circles or something. I just sewed very carefully, and slowly. It's not one I would want to try and do quickly. I seem to choose hard ones and maybe it's a case of "fools rush in" but, it usually works out in the end.

If not... I can just scrap it. :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast