Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The One That Got Away    (obw) >

The One That Got Away (obw)

The One That Got Away (obw)

Old 06-19-2010, 07:49 PM

I have made the OneBlockWonder once and still have not finished it but seeing how beautiful yours is, perhaps I will take the time to finish it soon. Your fabric and talent is outstanding.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Gorgeous! Love the quilting on the border and fish getting away.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Katrine,
How did you sew that one hexagon, that sticks out into the border (cherry blossoms)? The blue border doesn't seem to be pieced there, but maybe it is? Can you explain?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 AM

It's very easy really Fireworks. Before you join the vertical seam down the centre of those 2 rows of hexagons, you cut two pieces of the border fabric a little bit wider than the border finished width.
Then cut a 60 deg angle at the edges of those pieces which are then stitched to the strip of hexagons. Join those 2 rows vertically so you have a joined piece of border above the hexagon. Now have a joined strip of kaleidoscope blocks with the border width already on.
You can then attach border fabric to the (already joined together rows) border to the right, and left, of this row.
So you now have left side of quilt with border, the strip with the sticking out hexagon together with its border, and the right hand side of the quilt with its own piece of border attached.
Join all 3 pieces together down the vertical seams, makes the top border complete - and trim away any small excess from what were the small pieces you attached to the sticking out hex, so it is exactly the width of the other border pieces.

Then its just a matter of putting on the bottom border (unless you have given a lower hexagon the same treatment).
And finally the sides borders in the normal way.

I have done this with dark and light fabrics, you cannot see the seams where the border is joined once you have quilted in the border. Have a look at my "In the Red" and "Orange Sundae" quilts
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46175-1.htm
I had hex's out of the top of both of those - and the sides, but they are simpler, just with 2 separate pieces of border.
I hope I explained that okay?
I have to be careful that I don't cut the angle the wrong way round though - ask me why!! LOL
Do you have the "Encore" book, there is a pictorial of it within.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the border explanation. I do have the Encore book, but haven't looked at it in a while. OBWs are on the back burner until I get my fireworks quilt finished.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM

Ooo we are all waiting to see the fireworks quilt finished..it's lovely!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Katrine i am going to have to say that i am in AGREEMENT with you, but this one is my favorite also. My reason is the it is more subtle and the variation from being a busy block to the plain with flowers on the outside has added allowed you to create your own new design with the layout. Oh i have to make this for my dad, he has 3 fish ponds with Koi. He would go made over this. Oh now to track down this fabric... It is so wonderful to be able to make something like this. Thanks for sharing your extrodinary talents with us all.
♥ CQ
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Your quilt is beautiful!!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
Katrine i am going to have to say that i am in AGREEMENT with you, but this one is my favorite also. My reason is the it is more subtle and the variation from being a busy block to the plain with flowers on the outside has added allowed you to create your own new design with the layout. Oh i have to make this for my dad, he has 3 fish ponds with Koi. He would go made over this. Oh now to track down this fabric... It is so wonderful to be able to make something like this. Thanks for sharing your extrodinary talents with us all.
♥ CQ
Thanks Karen - I did enjoy this one, and it is now on the wall - I love to just gaze at it because as you said there are defined areas to look at.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Banned

Never been a big fan of OBW but this is Beautiful!