Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Orca bay mystery picture thread

Ooooo, love those reds!

Good job Sara! What fun we are having!

I realize it is a personal preference, but I agree with Jeanie, the two inch strip just seems too big for such a small square. Only have three done but hope to get to work on more today. Never did a mystery quilt before, just love to watch the individual choices people are making. I started with the black & white QST but decided to use green and purple for the colors.

Some amazing colors here!
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

At the top of the thread, there is a spot on the right that says "ThreadTools" with a down arrow. Click that and choose "Subscrige to this Thread". From there you have some more options. Notification type and Folder.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful string blocks everyone!

I find the place that the 2" strips are nice are on the small corners where you have to trim. Sometimes with the smaller strips there isn't much left after trimming.
    Sadiemae

I'm very impressed by the progress everyone is making. I took one look at the instructions and recognized that I'm not ready for this particular quilt yet. However, I'm also very curious as to what it will look like in the end.

Cheers, K

Okay...I have a question. I have no stash to use (too new to quilting to have a stash built up enough to use yet). I bought fabric for this quilt. For this week's blocks, do I have to paper piece? I thought I would cut different width long strips, sew them together then cut 3 1/2" blocks out of them. Is there some reason this won't work? What am I missing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
    Okay...I have a question. I have no stash to use (too new to quilting to have a stash built up enough to use yet). I bought fabric for this quilt. For this week's blocks, do I have to paper piece? I thought I would cut different width long strips, sew them together then cut 3 1/2" blocks out of them. Is there some reason this won't work? What am I missing?
    It will work fine! I did some of the neutral string blocks with strips last year. I hate tearing off paper, but I am using a phone book this time. I don't why these companies think I need at least 4 phone books a year.lol
    Sadiemae

My adult ed. quilting teacher has us use tissue paper, the type you use for gifts. It is very cheap to use and easy to remove (make your stitch lenght smaller). Make any size sq., sew strips on, then iron, turn over to paper side and resquare. The paper shinks a little so make sure you don't cut around paper, but position a square over the paper and cut an accurate square. Remove paper.

Blog Entries
    Bonnie also mentioned tissue paper on her site.
    Sadiemae

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
    Jan, these are really small blocks, and I think it would be hard to piece the 1", 1.25", 1.5" small pieces together without the stabilization of some type of backing. I found I used some washable school glue across the middle of the paper to hold the first piece in place. The fabric was kind of squirmy because the pieces are so small. I found 2" strips were just too big to look good on this size blocks (just my opinion). I used the scribble pad paper from the $ Store, and just cut the paper to size with a rotary cutter I keep for paper.

Blog Entries
    Jan in Fl,
    When I am not sure how something will work, I just do a couple of samples. Then I can make up my mind. I don't mind piecing with smaller strips, but others don't enjoy it.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    . I don't why these companies think I need at least 4 phone books a year.lol
    I know what you mean! I've got a stack of them that I've been saving. This string piecing is so easy I may have have to make some more quilts!!!

i used the sunday paper to cut to size for the string blocks worked great and came off really easily

Blog Entries
    I'm following these Orca bay threads and think I will do this but I have a couple of questions:
    1. If you use telephone books or even the newspaper, doesn't the ink come off on your hands and your neutral fabrics?
    2. Is it possible to do this later but get all the instructions before the May deadline (I think that is what I read).

I did a mystery quilt years ago and I really didn't enjoy the mystery part. I'm so visual in learning and keeping the goal pictured in my mind as I build a quilt.

But this quilt and Bonnie Hunt's website's quilt gallery is so intriguing! I hope my confidence kicks in and I get excited once again to quilt.
    Mountain Woman

I didn't take a picture of mine because I didn't decide until after I started cutting for clue #1. I'm using blue for Bonnie's red and yellow-orange for Bonnie's blue, along with the black and neutral.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald View Post
    I'm following these Orca bay threads and think I will do this but I have a couple of questions:
    1. If you use telephone books or even the newspaper, doesn't the ink come off on your hands and your neutral fabrics?
    2. Is it possible to do this later but get all the instructions before the May deadline (I think that is what I read).

I did a mystery quilt years ago and I really didn't enjoy the mystery part. I'm so visual in learning and keeping the goal pictured in my mind as I build a quilt.

But this quilt and Bonnie Hunt's website's quilt gallery is so intriguing! I hope my confidence kicks in and I get excited once again to quilt.
    1. I use the Scribble Pad paper from the $ store. It is newsprint and tears off easily.

2. You can print out the instructions from Bonnie's site each week, then you will have them all.

I did my first mystery with Bonnie last year. It is such fun to do it as a group! I think you would enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald View Post
    I worried about this, so I did a couple of sample blocks to begin. Out of curiosity I even used light steam to see what would happen . I didn't have any of the ink come off of the telephone book. I might be more careful with newspaper, but the telephone book was fine.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    I used the phonebook as well with no problems

Here's the picture of the strings I'm making. I love how they are turning out!
    I used freezer paper and computer paper for mine and both come off easyName:  Teal strings.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  103.5 KB.
    I cut the papers 3.5 x 3.5 and they are still that size after sewing the strings!
    As I mentioned on the other thread I still have to make all the QST. I have the squares all cut out. I may have to wait till after the busy holidays to do the first part and the next parts as they are posted. Still have some Christmas sewing to do and need to decorate my house!! Anyone else going to postpone working on this mystery till after the busy holidays??
    Last edited by yayaquilts; 11-29-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    I am alone for the holidays, so I will continue working on my quilt.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
    Here's the picture of the strings I'm making. I love how they are turning out!
    I used freezer paper and computer paper for mine and both come off easy.
    Anyone else going to postpone working on this mystery till after the busy holidays??
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Nice!!

Just me and the DH and critters at home. He'll be working Christmas eve and the day after, so it's me and my furry helpers. I've been working on this and taking breaks to work on gifts that still need getting done

My DD and I just got some fabric, did not have enough stash. We haven't even started so we will be getting it finished until later. I expect to sew more after the holidays so you are not alone. I don't want to see the finished quilt. I want the fun of the mystery, so as people progress I may not look on here much.

Blog Entries
    And why do we need paper to do this string quilt?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast