Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Out of my comfort zone >

Out of my comfort zone

Out of my comfort zone

Old 09-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

very nicely done
Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Both are great and I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the process...your quilting is fabulous. Congratulations on your finishes.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
They both are exceptionally pretty! I have questions. Is the lone star border a print or is it the quilting showing on blue or gray ? I am on an IPhone so it hard to tell. The small strip of gold around the star really makes it pop, even as big as it is, defines it I guess I should say. I've not made a lone star but would love to. Is there one pattern easier than others?

The cross is another I'd like to try one day. I like the fabric you used on the cross itself, or is the design on it stitching? I like how you stitched the 'Rays' from the cross too.
I get bored too with some of the patterns we have for our QOV. I like the freedom I have to do what I want, esp around the panels. Some of the group don't like to do quilts with the panels so they have passed a few to me.
I say you did very well on both and I suppose I need to look, at any albums you have here, to see more of the artist in you.
The border around the lone star is left over fabric from the star fabrics. The pattern I used was a free one... just google 'jellied lone star pattern' and it was fairly easy but took some concentration for me..
The cross is really just a version of log cabin quilt blocks. the two top blocks are square and the two lower ones are rectangles then the dark fabric was used to sash them together. it was also a free pattern.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Thank you for the info. What do I google for the cross to get the pattern you used?
Also, do you have to have a special ruler for the lone star? I assume you sew strips of fabric and cut at a certain degree angle but not sure....sometimes I can figure a pattern out but sure is better when I have one that works and don't have to strain my brain- lol
Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Ok, I just came to my home computer (I am having back issues....and you thought it was my eyes-lol) It was my eyes trying to see on my phone. Your quilting really is amazing and shows so much better on my new monitor! I would love to, one day, quilt as well. I downloaded the patter for the lone star and now see how she cut her strips. I still have to try to find the log cabin cross but I will be searching. Can't be here too long, on account of my back pain, but hope to get quilting/piecing again soon. Keep up your good work!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

​Great quilts and quilting!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Great quilts and quilting!
What she said!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Ok, I just came to my home computer (I am having back issues....and you thought it was my eyes-lol) It was my eyes trying to see on my phone. Your quilting really is amazing and shows so much better on my new monitor! I would love to, one day, quilt as well. I downloaded the patter for the lone star and now see how she cut her strips. I still have to try to find the log cabin cross but I will be searching. Can't be here too long, on account of my back pain, but hope to get quilting/piecing again soon. Keep up your good work!
I've never tried to upload a photo in a reply, but here goes! This photo is what I used as my pattern for the cross...
Attached Thumbnails 637fe5c7f8ad2cdeb5b838bfe620725e.jpg  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Dilyn, I've seen many pictures of your quilts posted. They are all grogeous ... and this one is too. I wish I had a small portion of your artistic talent and creativity. Keep up the fantastic work.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Both are very pretty. Beautiful quilting.